UKC

Waterproof hard shell for under £200 - Any suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 liv_the_div 28 Dec 2008
Hi

As the title suggests I am seeking advice before buying a new jacket. I have had a lightweight Mountain Equipment Goretex (can't remember exactly which one) for a couple of years now and on the whole I've found it pretty pish, either I'm not a lady and I sweat like a pig rather than glow, or it's not as waterproof as it claims...

Either way I would like to replace it with something that is more breathable and water resistant and also slightly harder wearing as I often climb in it. I am looking for an all rounder to wear at the crag in damp conditions and also for walking in the rain. Any suggestions or advice would be great and any info on good deals would also be much appreciated!

Thanks
 BigHell 28 Dec 2008
In reply to liv_the_div:

Try this ,had mine over two years its been brill used it in the Alps/rain /gullys/down to my local Asda, the jacket has never let me down , i re proofed the jacket last month only because i washed it for the first time , used it again boxing day in a very wet gully jackets still fine almost like new and its been used lots of times cost me £80....I would buy another one if i needed to but i dont .

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sprayway-hydrolite-jacket-mens/COREOMAA1305
OP liv_the_div 28 Dec 2008
In reply to bighell:

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Shame the ladies one isn't so well reduced but I will certianly consider it - maybe I have been blinded by higher price meaining better jacket - something Mr Div is very against!
Removed User 28 Dec 2008
n reply to liv_the_div: try this one http://malachowski.pl/index.php?&str=kolekcje&gr=2 not sure for jacket but its none commercial expedition company with reputation and other products I have are superb
 BigHell 28 Dec 2008
In reply to liv_the_div:
> (In reply to bighell)
>
> Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Shame the ladies one isn't so well reduced but I will certianly consider it - maybe I have been blinded by higher price meaining better jacket - something Mr Div is very against!

Gore tex is the walkers favorite but at what price ? my pal paid £270 years ago for one of Gores XTR thingies ..lol....
Honestly the Sprayway hydroflex is a snip at under £80 mines been used in all weathers ,it also fits well with a climbing harnes the back of the jackets longer than the front so it wont ride up and cause a draft ,unlike my meates .....lol!
 sylwia 28 Dec 2008
In reply to liv_the_div:

I have got the Montane Super Fly XT in Blue

http://www.rathbonesofkeswick.co.uk/item/prod/montane-super(-)fly-xt-jacket...

£180 Rathbones

I tried one on locally to check sizes before i ordered it online (£250 locally even after i challenged them they would not budge on price).

It is a great shell fantastic breathability(Event material) in fact i wore it on Mont Blanc this summer and whilst doing some climbs on the Aiguille Rouge.

You can climb in it it has pit zips for ventilation and it will protect you against heavy rain.

Nick

PS one downfall if you are of a stocky build then the alpine cut might be a bit tight try one on before ordering.
mountainsheep 29 Dec 2008
In reply to liv_the_div: what about the latok alpine or the ME pro-lite both at £180
 Matt Schwarz 29 Dec 2008
In reply to liv_the_div: another vote for superfly xt.
J1234 29 Dec 2008
In reply to liv_the_div:
Have you cosindered Paramo. Loads of threads on here if you search. Good for a lass that sweats and it does not matter if you put a hole in it climbing. Always loads of deals, a Velesz Smock with the built in hood should do you.
Cheers Beds
 nikki_smilez 29 Dec 2008
In reply to liv_the_div:

It wont let me post the web links but go to ultimate outdoors website and check out the changabang and seraph mountain equipment jackets. BOth are in the sale, so really good deals on both!

The seraph is really good, my sister just got it for christmas and it is very very lovely! I have the ama dablam, the older version i think, and am very jealous of her and her new jacket! If you buy it in heather (some pleasant purply colour) it is only £109... absolute bargain really!
OP liv_the_div 29 Dec 2008
Thank you all very much for your responses, it's good hear a range of opinons. Im going to try on the jackets and make a final decision based on good old comfort and fit! I'm particulary interested to see if the men's versions fit well as all the good offers seem to be on the blokey jackets!

Cheers all have a super duper 2009!
 GarethSL 29 Dec 2008
In reply to liv_the_div: assuming you are female i guess offering you a mens large Arc'teryx Alpha LT for £120 is out :P maybe next time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...