UKC

What soft shell to replace my ME Aquafleece

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hannahntilly 19 Jan 2009
I lost my old Mountain Equipment Aquafleece in Scotland this year and am looking to replace it. Although it wasn't very elegant and was a horrible combination of purple & black, it was very practical.

Some quick searches around this forum suggest that a RAB Vapour Rise jacket might be a good replacement. Looks like GO Outdoors haven't got any Mediums left at £70. Any other recommendations? Thanks,
 k2hvs 19 Jan 2009
In reply to hannahntilly:

I've got a pair of ME Aqua Fleec salopettes for sale, size medium. £40 posted. They would look great with a RAb Vapour Rise Jacket.

Mark
In reply to hannahntilly:

Aquafleece (Proline) was a double-sided membrane fleece, so any Windstopper or WindBloc fabric should be fairly equivalent. The disadvantage of AF was the fleece half on the outside; not protected from the wind (although it's a very dense fleece), and soaks up water... More recent membrane fleeces tend to have a knitted or woven outer, with all the fleece inside; a better idea, IMHO, as the face fabric is more robust and water resistant.

You're obviously considering moving to a membrane-free solution; you'll probably find it cooler but less clammy.

Rab VR Trail or other shelled micropile (e.g. Marmot DriClime, Buffalo Teklite, Montane Scarab) is a good choice.

Alternatively, a lightweight PowerShield (e.g. Millet Pro Touring).

Or, given how warm Aquafleece was, maybe a heavyweight PowerShield... My Patagonia Mixmaster weighs almost exactly the same as my ME AF Mountain jacket, but it has a hood too...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...