UKC

Rock Shoe resole/rand Good/Bad experiences please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Barra 23 Jan 2009
Hi Guys,

It has come to a time where I need to think about getting some of my old shoes re-soled/randed.

I have had a couple of pairs re-soled in the past (10 years ago), but wasn't over struck with the quality of job...

Therefore I started to just buy new.

However, with the 'Credit Crunch' (OK, so buying new may help this) hitting I'm reluctant to buy more when I have about 6ish well worn pairs sitting in the cupboard...

I also I feel I should do my bit for the environment by re-cycling the ones I have, and not putting them into landfill... (that's why they're sitting in the cupboard!)

Can anyone offer any advice good or bad about any of the companies offering these services?

Cheers in advance!

Luv Barra! xx

gethin_allen 23 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra:
if they are well made boots just get them resoled, I had a pair done by cheshire shoe repair and although they came back a slightly different shape after a bit they fitted fine again.
if you need the rands doing along with the sole cheshire shoe repair are cheaper than feet first because they do them free. Feet first do offer a slightly wider range of rubber although the 5.10 stealth that cheshire shoe repair have is perfectly good.
 victorclimber 23 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra: had my rock shoes done a couple of times,and they were fine..
 stevieo10 23 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra: I'm thinking of having mine resoled, can anyone recommend where to get them done also what is the turn around time, ta
 Steve Kirman 23 Jan 2009
In reply to stevieo10:

I've had a couple of pairs done at Feet First, based in Chesterfield - brilliant job, turnaround was a few days.

http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk
 Knoxy 23 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra: I've just had two pairs resoled at cheshire shoe repair, my red chillies just had a resole but my rock pillars had a hole in the toe so needed the rands doing too, got them back about a week later and both pairs are as good as new.
In reply to Barra:
I've had a pair resoled by Feet first and they did a great job.
 dread-i 23 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra:
I had a pair of red chili sausalito resoled at Cheshire shoe. The shape was different and took a little bit of getting used to, but the rubber was better (5.10).
 ckm 23 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra:

Just had my 5.10s resoled by First Feet, did take a couple of weeks to get them back right enough, but that was just before Christmas. Good job on them though and personally i think they now fit better than they did before.

Cam
OP Barra 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra:

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for this...

I was definitely planning on getting my shoes re-soled...

However, I was more looking for specific feedback about the companies out there (good or bad) so I could decide which company to use?!

Thankfully some of you have given this advice.

Any more advice would greatly be appreciated as I'm still unsure who to use!!!

Many thanks so far!

Luv Barra! xx
 Mark Sheridan 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra:
> (In reply to Barra)
> However, I was more looking for specific feedback about the companies out there (good or bad) so I could decide which company to use?!

Another vote for Cheshire Shoe Repairs; I was pleased with the re-sole on my Red Chilis.
 deepsoup 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra:
> so I could decide which company to use?!

There only seem to be two companies, and there doesn't seem to be much to choose between them. Lots of people say they've had good results but it seems every once in a while it doesn't go well. You may as well just pick the cheapest/most convenient one for you, or flip a coin because you're not likely to get a clear consensus here.
 Michael Ryan 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra:

Make sure you get them early - 80% worn, rands in good order.
OP Barra 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Hi Mick,

Cheers for the advice, I think that narrows it down to four pairs of shoes...

Luv Barra! xx

Nuclear Daisy 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra:

What is the "rand"?
 deepsoup 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Sallyjo:
Its the strip of rubber that goes around the outside of the shoe above the sole, and tends to wear out where it passes around/over your toes.
 Marcus 24 Jan 2009
In reply to Barra: Feet first too. Great Job, fantastic turnaround. Had the rand done too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...