UKC

Primus MF stove and MSR fuel bottles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave H 13 Jan 2003
Is it OK to use a primus multi-fuel stove with the MSR fuel bottles? Has anyone any experience of doing so? Any hints or tips will be most helpful.
Many thanks
 Martin W 13 Jan 2003
In reply to Dave H:

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be OK to use the MSR bottles with the Primus stove. I use the MSR 325ml fuel bottle with my Primus MF and it works fine. With any fuel bottle you are intending to use make sure that:
i) The pump screws securely in to the thread in the neck of the bottle. Leaks would be a bad thing.
ii) The bottle is designed to be used as a pressurised fuel reservoir. Some so-called "fuel" bottles are only intended for carrying fuel in, and cannot safely be pressurised. I think one of the types of Sigg fuel bottle is like this - they're basically the same as the aluminium drinks bottles, but they're clearly marked for fuel only, presumably to avoid contamination of drinks with fuel or vice versa. Do not use these bottles to run your stove from!
OP Dan_S - Elsewhere 13 Jan 2003
In reply to Martin W:
I've just asked this same question at my local Cotswold Outdoors shop, and was told not to.

Apparently, the Primus pump thread is different to the pump thread on the MSR, and if presurised to much, there is a risk of the whole thing popping out, as the pump and bottle dont form a good seal. I dont know if this is a "worst case scenario" type of warning, but in the interests of not becoming a fireball, I wont be taking the risk.
Bob F 13 Jan 2003
In reply to Dan_S - Elsewhere: The threads on MSR and sigg bottles are different! They may appear to be the same but are not interchangable. There is a difference and as you say there is a danger that you will find at the worst possible time and in the worst possible way! Follow the stove manufacturers recomendations, It could be cheaper and safer in the long run.
OP Dave H 13 Jan 2003
In reply to Bob F: I have just re-read the stove manual and it says that it can be used with most makes of bottles where as the MSR say to only use their own bottles. I have just spoke to a friend who has used this set up with no problems. I will give it a go in the back garden tonight and see.
Cheers dave
OP dave h 14 Jan 2003
In reply to Dave H:
tried this set up in back garden last night and had no problems with it so seems to work.
Thanks for feedback
 Martin W 15 Jan 2003
In reply to Dave H:

> I have just re-read the stove manual and it says that it can be used with most makes of bottles

That's actually not what it says in the manuals which came with my Himalaya MultiFuel. The pink CE-compliant leaflet says:

"This appliance shall be used exclusively with Primus Propane/Butane mix cartridges 2202 and 2207 or Primus liquid fuel bottles for white gas, unleaded automobile gasoline/petrol, kerosene (or other similar fuels)."

and

"It may be hazardous to attempt to fit other types of gas cartridges or liquid fuel bottles. It could cause fuel leakages and result in injury or death."

The white supplemental instruction book says:

"All manufacturers recommend that their customers use exclusively fuel bottles and cartridges of their own brand. Of course. you will think that this is a marketing stunt, and that would be quite understandable. But there is a safety reason, too! If the cartridge or the bottle and stove fit exactly together, very little can go wrong. That’s why we recommend the use of Primus burners only with Primus bottles or cartridges!

"During my travels around the world, I have come to made the distressing conclusion experience [sic] that you can’t always and everywhere get the right cartridges and fuel bottles (if they have been lost or broken somewhere). If there is no other choice, you might make an exception and try to screw the Primus pump into fuel bottles from other manufacturers. It will work with most other bottles because the Primus pump is made from aluminium. (But don’t try the opposite way: pumps made from plastic will usually not fit into other brands’ fuel bottles!) Important:
1. All plastic bottles are out of the question – no matter, if the top fits or not – since they will not endure the pressure.
2. Fill the bottle up only by three quarters full! This due to the construction of the Primus pump. Only the fill line on original Primus bottles is appropriate. All other marked lines on other bottles are not valid!"

So Primus' advice is: yes it may work, but no we don't recommend it. I believe that this is as much to do with product liability issues as anything else.

A quick scan of web sites reveals that many of the retailers who carry the Primus stoves do not carry the Primus fuel bottles. You could argue that these retailers are knowingly selling a CE-certified appliance for use in a configuration which would invalidate its CE certification! (Up and Under is one web retailer which lists the Primus fuel bottle - it's actually cheaper than the equivalent sized MSR bottle, but a bit more expensive than the Sigg.)

Cotswold Outdoor - who told Dan_S not to use the MSR bottle - recommend on their web site that the Sigg fuel bottle be used with the Primus stoves. This advice is still contrary to Primus' own recommendation. Even less useful, the picture and description of the Sigg fuel bottle on their web site is of the plastic Trangia fuel bottle, which would be completely unsuitable for the Primus stove!

However, it is certainly not the case that any metal fuel bottle which fits the Primus pump will be OK. As I mentioned before, there are some out there which are only designed for transporting fuel. Unlike the MSR and other bottles which are designed to be used pressurised, these bottles do not have a thread cut directly in to the aluminium neck material of the bottle. Instead the thread is cut in a separate brass insert, which is then push-fitted into the neck of the bottle (you can see this type of thread construction on any Sigg drinks bottle). If you screw the pump into this thread and pressurise the bottle, there is a risk that the insert could be pushed out of the neck of the bottle. This might spoil your trip, especially if your stove happened to be lit at the time.

My experience has been the same as Dave H's, that the Primus pump fits the MSR bottle just fine. That's because the threads are, for all practical purposes including that of sealing a pressurized fuel system, the same. The issue mentioned in the Primus manual about how far you fill the bottle is to do with where the Primus fuel pickup lies inside the fuel bottle, and how you shut off the fuel supply and bleed pressure from the bottle by flipping it over. If the bottle is too full then you can still shut off the fuel supply to the stove by turning down the control knob, but it can be difficult to bleed pressure from the bottle without spraying fuel everywhere. I found no problems with this aspect of the Primus stove's operation when I filled the MSR bottle to the fill line marked on it, however.

Bottom line: if you want to follow Primus' advice to the letter then the Primus fuel bottle is available from some retailers. However, at least two other manufacturer's pressurised fuel bottles are reported to work with no discernable problems.
OP Dave H 16 Jan 2003
In reply to Martin W:
Thanks.
The main reason for this question was the lack of availability of primus fuel bottles. I can't order over the net due to no one being home when parcels arrive and have looked in gear shops extensively when away on trips in the past. My reason for getting the Primus MF stove was due to the versatility as I intend to cook on gas most of the time but after my last trip when it was too cold for the gas to work properly thought I would give UL petrol a go and I already have a MSR fuel bottle. Anyway seems to work with no problems. Many Thanks again.
dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...