UKC

What is Gore Tex Mahal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 54ms 02 Feb 2009
I've seen some trousers that say they are made from it, yet I can't see it on the gore tex website.

Can anyone shed any light?
 Dr Rorlasaurus 02 Feb 2009
In reply to Duncan_S:

Gonna make a guess that its 3 layer Gore and then the face fabric is what Berghaus use in ther storm overtrousers (what you were looking at?) is the Mahal bit. So the fabric the gore membrane is laminated to to create the overall fabric.

Maybe. I'm only a Gore Tex and Berghaus consultant, didn't get the distinction though...
 George Fisher 02 Feb 2009
In reply to Duncan_S:

It's a huge waterproof and breathable palace built for a princess in the 15th century.
OP 54ms 02 Feb 2009
In reply to ligemidio:

Its the Storm over trousers! Where does it fit with paclite/xcr/proshell? They seem some of the more moderately priced heavier waterproofs.
 withey 03 Feb 2009
In reply to Duncan_S:

It describes the face fabric. W.L. Gore Ltd produce hundreds of different fabrics, and most companies don't bother naming each one because it would confuse poor punters like you (point proven). Very few companies (Arc'Teryx are probably top of the list) use a face fabric, made to their own specifications. Everyone else just use off the shelf materials.

BTW it is standard 3-layer Gore-Tex (or rather Performance Shell). Hence not very expensive.
 Dr Rorlasaurus 05 Feb 2009
In reply to withey:

Well I was halfway right, I just thought Berghaus etc bought the Gore membrane and laminated it to their own stuff so that all their fleeces and jackets can match in the same shades of chicory, blueshadow and hot rose.

Is that why Arcteryx are ridiculously overpriced?
 withey 05 Feb 2009
In reply to ligemidio:

> Is that why Arcteryx are ridiculously overpriced?

Expensive, yes... overpriced, no. It's just too good for most people. However if you're doing stuff which requires the best kit in the world, then you would think of Arc'Teryx as reasonable value. How much is your life worth?
 krikoman 05 Feb 2009
In reply to Duncan_S: It's special fabric made in Indian, as one might expect, it keeps the warm in but lets the diaoreaha (oh dear I knew I'd struggle with that) through. Breathable but for sh*t instead of sweat.
 GarethSL 05 Feb 2009
In reply to ligemidio: give it two years and everyone will be using arc'teryx's face fabrics whilst they have moved on to even better things.

if anyones bothered at all:

youtube.com/watch?v=mM-cBRo58DE&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...