UKC

reproofing my gore-tex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jeppuda 01 Mar 2009
Hello. I have an old gore-tex jacket that lost its "waterproofness" a couple of years ago. I followed the directions on the tag and washed the jacket with normal detergent. Since then the jacket has not repelled water.

I no know that I should have used nikwax or pure soap flakes. From my understanding, use pure soap flakes to clean the jacket and nikwax to clean the soap off the jacket? I could not find pure soap flakes in the supermarket. Can I just use a shredded up ivory bar?

Did the use of liquid detergent make the damage to my jacket irreversible? or can the nikwax clean it off? Thanks
 lithos 01 Mar 2009
In reply to jeppuda:

soap flakes can be found in suoermarkets but they hide them quite well
best off asking.

you could use a soap bar, get a simple non pefumed cheap one without
other stuff in it.

Couple of washes and rinses will get rid of any of the residue, best to run
a hot wash (towels for example) through the machine with soap before doing
your jacket.

Then reproof (i havent had any luck with 'washin' types but spray on seem
to work) tumble dry (low) and should be ok.
Will Phillips 01 Mar 2009
Use Nikwax techwash to clean it then Nikwax TX direct wash in to reproof.
 Glansa 01 Mar 2009
In reply to jeppuda:

What ever you wash it in (every manufacturer seems to give different guidelines) the important thing is making sure it gets thoroughly rinsed out afterwards to make sure no soap/detergent/whatever is left and then in almost all cases (as always check the label) a good tumble drying on low/medium heat will get the waterproofing going again.

If you go through the archives this comes up every couple of months, slightly different situation each time but generally the same advice fits.

Nick
 GarethSL 01 Mar 2009
In reply to jeppuda:

- Wash in tech wash 30oC gentle spin.

- Allow to drip dry for a bit.

- Whilst still damp rub/paint on grangers g-proof. This is better cause its more like the dwr that was applied to the fabric in the first place.

- Tumble dry for about 40min.
In reply to jeppuda:

> I followed the directions on the tag and washed the jacket with normal detergent.

That was your first mistake. Understandable, I know, especially as Gore's instructions will say 'use a mild detergent'. You might try writing to Gore to complain that their instructions are crap, in spite of being told they're crap for many years...

> Did the use of liquid detergent make the damage to my jacket irreversible?

Not usually; a soap wash will generally remove detergent traces that are negating the effect of the DWR.

I wouldn't use a shredded cosmetic soap bar; far too many things other than soap in it. See if you can find some pure soap flakes, or, failing that, a proprietary 'soap-based wash', e.g. Nikwax TechWash, or Grangers' Extreme cleaner.

Nikwax TxDirect is a re-proofing agent (rather than something that cleans the soap off), that will add a water-repellent coating to the fabric. It helps to stop the jacket getting wet, which stops it breathing (water vapour can't pass through a layer of water...). Grangers do something similar, but fluorocarbon-based, more like the original DWR treatment.

When you wash, make sure your machine is spotlessly clean, with no detergent gunk in the 'soap tray' or water path. Any residues will stay on the fabric and continue to negate the DWR.
 IainSunderland 03 Mar 2009
In reply to jeppuda:

Did my jacket a few weeks back and it is now as good as new.

The idea is that there are two waterproof parts to your jacket:
a) The Goretex membrane.
b) The DWR water repellancy coating that is sprayed on yor jacket in the factory. It is this stuff that makes the rain drops 'bead' on your new jacket so nicely.

The idea behind washing and treating your jacket is to:
a) Wash off the oils and dirt that are stopping the Goretex from doing it's thing.
b) Replenish the DWR coating on the outside of your jacket.

Here is how I did mine:

1) Put washer on an empty run with nothing in it, no clothes, no detergent. This will rinse the machine and ensure that there is no rogue detergent or softner in there. I understand that softner is the real evil stuff that it will wreck your jacket.

2) Put jacket in washer and wash on cold with Nikwax Tech Wash. This washes out all of the oils and dirt that inhibits breathability of the Goretex.

3) If your machine has an "extra rinse" option, use this. If there is no "extra rinse" option, put the jacket through on a full cycle again, but with no extra detergent. The point is to give the jacket a proper rinse to get all the detergent off.

4) Add "Nikwax TX Direct Wash In" liquid to the washing machine and wash the jacket again on cold, full cycle without extra rinse. The fluid is essentially the "DWR" stuff that they initally apply onto the jacket in the factory. The idea is for you to get this stuff to cover the jacket all over. I followed the instructions on the bottle, but was generous with the amount I used.

5) Once washed and covered in the DWR stuff, put the jacket into the tumble drier on low temperature for about 20-30mins. The heat of the drier will "melt" the DWR coating that you have just applied and ensure that it covers your jacket evenly. I was concerned that my jacket, being synthetic, might melt in the drier, but it didn't.

Done - good as new!

I had concerns about washing my jacket (a RAB Latok) as it was a pretty pricey investment a few years back. I didn't want it all to go horribly wrong and end up having to buy a replacement. I have to say, I'm glad I washed it.

I have done another jacket before and used the spray-on DWR stuff, but the wash-in seems to have taken better.

Iain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...