UKC

Platypus Vs Camelback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dickie 01 Mar 2009
Always been a fan of platypus, but looking towards camelback due to going through a bladder a year at the min...

Which do you prefer and why???

Cheers
Dickie
 eirenutter 01 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie: diary milk v galaxy ?
OP Dickie 01 Mar 2009
In reply to eirenutter: galaxy for me
just wondered if the camembacks lasted any longer?!
 winhill 01 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:

I prefer the flexiflask that trekmates distribute as the bottle cap goes in the top, not the bottom like platypus bottles. Much lighter than the soft feel ones like camelback too.
 Wilbur 01 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:

the bladder on my camelbak has lasted for ages (make sure you clean and dry after use) and never any leaks etc... can't say the same for my mate's platypus which leaked on the cuillin ridge...
 steev 01 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:

My camelbak is going strong after almost 5 years of fairly constant use.

My platypus died after about 2 years of very occasional use.
ice.solo 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:

ive found the camelbaks last longer and are nicer to use, but that platypus is much less prone to grime growth and freezing.

i like camelbaks for running because the rubbery bladder seems less sloshing, but for winter they just freeze.
i also like the platypus more for just carrying water (when the tube freezes and it will) as the smaller opening is easier to drink from.

really, it depends what you want, and if you dont need to worry about things like freezing then it probably wont matter.
also too, i think of them as semi-disposable - a year or 2 is a good span, but some only last 6 months of heavy use (or protein mix)
OP Dickie 02 Mar 2009
In reply to ice.solo: cheers, very helpful not got a problem with freezing so will try the camelback

Dickie
 Reach>Talent 02 Mar 2009
In reply to ice.solo:
Silly question how much are you wearing when out on the hill? I've used Camelbaks for years in temperatures down to below -10C and I've had a tube freeze once (on Snowdon at about -3C). The bladder is right next to your back so should stay fairly warm unless you are either wearing far to many layers or using one of those Freeflow backed bags. You just blow down the tube after you've finished drinking to clear the tube and stop it freezing solid.
 Martin W 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie: I have Platypuses going on for ten years old and I've never had one leak. In any case they come with a lifetime guarantee: http://www.platy.com/contact_us/customer_service.aspx?RightNav=ContactUs&am... The bite valves with the right-angled elbow are rubbish though, I just use the straight-through ones (the ones with a wee tap on are even worse).

I tried a Camelback once and hated it: all floppy and flabby, and very difficult to keep clean and dry after use.

As for freezing tubes, you can avoid this by gently blowing liquid back in to the bladder - don't overdo it or you end up with a balloon in your rucksack! I do find that you still get a few drops left in the bite valve, which can still freeze up enough to stop you drinking. This is easily fixed by squeezing the bite valve between your fingers to let the last few drops drain out.
ice.solo 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Reach>Talent:
good question;
when the bladders started freezing 'out on the hill' was hokkaido, kyrgyzstan, xinjiang and mongolia in winter - so down to around -35, tho seemed anything below about -15 caused frazzle. i wear the usual stuff for those conditions.

when freezings been a real issue its been when carrying multiple bladders (either where waters scarce/undrinkable or when one has liquid nutrition in it) and theyre not always close to you back.

i dont mean to sound like freezing the bladder itself is a normal concern (but you never know, maybe the op is off to the artic), just that the type of outlet makes a difference.
and yeah, i use the blow-into-the-tube trick and mostly it works fine - except when it doesnt for a million random reasons. if you catch it early enough you can melt again it in your mouth.
 Guy Hurst 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie: I used a Platy for maybe eight years, most weekends, with just one failure -- the thread on the cap where the tube attaches to the bladder gave way after about five, and it was replaced under the lifetime warranty. Now I use a Source bladder, which is better than a Platy or Camel, imo. Easier to clean and fill, because it has a roll top type closure, but more secure than the one Platy do; the tube can be quickly detached from the bladder without emptying it; and it's cheaper.
 Reach>Talent 02 Mar 2009
In reply to ice.solo:
-35C? Not suprised it froze, miracle you didn't. For carrying larger volumes have you tried the MSR Dromedary?
OP Dickie 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Martin W: The platy failed due to a crack in the plastic from storing it folded, was looking towards the camelback due to it being more like rubber.

Cheers
Dickie
OP Dickie 02 Mar 2009
In reply to ice.solo:
(but you never know, maybe the op is off to the artic)

Use in UK and also off to the Dolomites in summer.

Cheers
Dickie
 TeaGirl 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:

I'm interested in trying one of these:

http://www.endurancelife.com/shop-product.asp?product=9&mnu=2
To_Boldly_Go 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:

I've still got one of the original platypuses which (remarkably perhaps given it's age) still works absolutely fine... various mates have bought more exotic articles in the meantime & had various problems but mine still soldiers bravely on ...
Wrongfoot 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:

The best one I've seen came with a Vaude pack. You can get them from a lot of small independent dealers because the importers/distributors are pretty supportive to those outlets.
 idiotproof 02 Mar 2009
In reply to TeaGirl:
> (In reply to Dickie)
>
> I'm interested in trying one of these:
>
> http://www.endurancelife.com/shop-product.asp?product=9&mnu=2

Apparently will only fit in specific packs..... seems a good idea though
 Martin W 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:
> (In reply to Martin W) The platy failed due to a crack in the plastic from storing it folded

It might still be worth looking in to getting it replaced under guarantee. I roll my platy reservoirs but I don't fold them.

> was looking towards the camelback due to it being more like rubber.

It was the rubberiness that I didn't like. I found the Camelback reservoir flopped around in my ruicksack whereas the Platypus one stays upright. The greater stiffness of the Platypus material also means that the sides don't stick together when I put it to dry in the airing cupboard.

It does really come down to personal preference, though. There are thousands of satisfied Camelback users across the world so the product is obviously basically sound.
 Legendary Stu 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie: i had a platypus to start with, which then split next to the opening in the bladder after a few years use and i only realised a week before i was going off on a 2 week expedition, so i went out and got a camelback, knowing that it would only have to do for a few weeks till i got the platypus replaced under warrenty. i've still yet to send the platypus back and it split in 2006!

although my camelback bladder did split ( had a pinprick sized hole) over christmas this year so i took it back to halfords and they replaced it there and then, no faff of sending it back.
 richard kirby 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie:

I had a platypus for a few months before it started leaking.

My camelback is still going after 5 years
 Tim Sparrow 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie: I use the Source (widepac) bladders and find them superior to both Camelbak and Platypus. The model I use has a detachable hose (leave in place when filling, just remove bladder from sack) and has a great "fold top" seal. Dead easy to use. Great for running (OMM etc)when speed of refill becomes important.
Here's a link; Look for the widepac version.
http://www.thegorgeoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/The_Gorge_Outdoors_Source_hydrat...
ice.solo 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Reach>Talent:

dromedarys a good idea, have just never come across one for a look.
 MH123 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Dickie: i prefer the camelback due to the fact all of my friends bought platypuses and had lots of problems with them..my camelback is still going strong though this maybe due to the fact its got a protetive cover around it?
 John Kettle 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Max Hodges: I've just replaced the camelback I bought in 1995 with another one after 14 years regular use, they now have the lifetime warranty so I'm looking forward to even longer with this one.
 Lemony 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Tim Sparrow: Defintely the Source models, also resold by Deuter and Innov8 amongst others.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...