UKC

Lakes routes near Keswick - diff/vdiff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperstarDJ 17 Mar 2009
I'm going up to the Lakes on Friday morning for some hiking on Saturday/Sunday. Can anyone recommend some easy routes that'll be reasonably on the way (from M6 to Keswick) up? It needs to be easy as I'm rubbish and haven't led owt this year (diff/vdiff). Multipitch would be ok, but we'll probably only have the Friday afternoon so a shortish approach would be needed. Not picky at all am I?

Cheers,

David.
 Ann S 17 Mar 2009
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Hi DJ -you could come off M6 at Shap and visit Gouther Crag where there is an excellent VD slab route called Truss buttress- great 2 pitch route (38 metres in total) on wonderful rock, but make sure there has been dry weather in the run up. If you enjoy that then have a look at Kennel Wall, a great little 2 pitch Severe on the next part of the crag.
 jim robertson 17 Mar 2009
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Shepherds Crag in Borrowdale probably your most accessible option. Very close to Keswick and the crag is at the roadside. Brown Slabs is probably a good starting point and if you are feeling confident Little Chamonix is close by.

jim.
 jacque 17 Mar 2009
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Corvus on Ravens Crag- Diff -it's 8 easy pitches with just one challenge which is the famous hand traverse. You can do that one day then as someone has already said Little Chamonix- V Diff on Shepherds Crag then you'll have your confidence back to do Troutdale Pinncle a 3 star Severe on Black Crag. 3 epic climbs!
 helix 17 Mar 2009
Shepherds is the obvious choice

for something less predictable Bowderstone Pinnacle is a cracker of a route at Diff
 neil the weak 17 Mar 2009
In reply to jacque:
> (In reply to SuperstarDJ)
>
> Corvus on Ravens Crag- Diff -it's 8 easy pitches with just one challenge which is the famous hand traverse.

I'd second this, really classic route in a good situation and away from the crowds to boot. Bit of an approach slog, but totally do-able in an afternoon. Would make a much more memorable day out than just doing the slab routes on Shepards, not that they're bad either.

helix 18 Mar 2009
i am not sure that for someone who has not climbed much for a while, who is looking for an afternoon climbing between M6 and Keswick, with a shortish approach, that an eight-pitch climb up in the mountains about 90 mins (inc the walk-in) on from Keswick, is what you are after. maybe some playing about on Brown Slabs would actually be just what you need.
 Al Evans 18 Mar 2009
In reply to helix: Have you considered Trowbarrow? Just off the M6 North of Carnforth, 2 or 3 good V Diffs, or Farelton in the same area just off the M6, all single pitch stuff.
 graeme jackson 18 Mar 2009
In reply to helix:
> Shepherds is the obvious choice
>
> for something less predictable Bowderstone Pinnacle is a cracker of a route at Diff

For even less walk in, try something on woden's face. 3 minutes from the car park. Single pitch easy stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...