UKC

Steepest face of an 8000m peak?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henbot 19 Mar 2009
I was just wondering if any of the oracles of world mountaineering on this site knew which of the 8000m peaks has the steepest face? The Rupal face of Nanga Parbat, South Face of Annapurna etc? Sorry for such a random question.
fxceltic 19 Mar 2009
In reply to henbot: kangshung face on Everest is super steep, hanging glaciers, overhanging rock in places
 SC 19 Mar 2009
In reply to fxceltic:

Has it been climbed?
 petestack 19 Mar 2009
In reply to SC:

Yes.
fxceltic 19 Mar 2009
In reply to jim robertson: that is actually pretty interesting, however I think the overall mass of the mountain can reduce the rating.
In reply to henbot:

Lhotse South Face, I suspect.
OP henbot 19 Mar 2009
In reply to jim robertson: Thanks, that seems quite helpful but does that data neccessarily mean that Nanga Parbat has the steepest face of all the 8,000m peaks or just the most prominence? thanks
 SpamFrittas 19 Mar 2009
In reply to henbot: Not sure about steepness, but as far as I'm aware Nanga Parbat's Rupal Face is the biggest single face/ slope on earth, well over 4000m from valley to summit. Annapurna's South Face comes pretty close with around a 4000m (8091m- 4400-4000m) drop, and it's pretty steep too.

Talking of Chomolungma's Kangshung Face, does anyone know if Lhotse's NE Face opposite it has been climbed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...