UKC

Best route up Scafell Pike with wife and kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mp93899 25 Apr 2009
Hi,
Im looking for advise on the best route up Scafell Pike. We will be in the Lakes in July and will be with my wife and three kids (13,11,9) We went up Snowdon in August last year via the Pyg track and down the Llanberis Path, it was a fantastic day and didnt have any problems. From what ive found the "Wasdale - Hollow Stones - Mickledore - Scafell Pike - Lingmell - Brackenclose, Wasdale" route seems the most straight forward but any advise is welcome, particularly about climbing Mickledore.
Cheers

Chris Harris 25 Apr 2009
In reply to mp93899: I prefer going up via Piers Gill
Removed User 25 Apr 2009
In reply to mp93899: Depending where you are driving from it might be easier to do it from Langdale. But further in distance but nice and high level.

Mickleden - Rosset Gill - Angle Tarn - Esk Hause- Broad Crag - Scafell Pike

You could return from Esk Hause via Esk Pike - Bowfell and down The Band back into Langdale for a couple more peaks ticked if you are going well.

About 10-11 miles round trip,
In reply to mp93899:

It's rather a relentless slog up from Wasdale via Hollowstones. The most attractive way is the Corridor Route from Borrowdale.
 sjbutterworth 25 Apr 2009
In reply to mp93899:

The "Wasdale - Hollow Stones - Mickledore - Scafell Pike - Lingmell - Brackenclose, Wasdale" sounds the best route. It is an stone path most of the way, steep but easy to follow and safe with family. As you get to Hollow Stones you have the option to go left between Lingmell and the Pike, then follow the path up which is relatively straightforward. Mickledore is slightly more steep and serious. It is an stone path most of the way, steep but easy to follow and safe with family.

Piers Gill is a no-brainer don't do with kids. The route from Langdale is excellent but long and tough, especially on the walk back when you are tired. Rossett Gill/Mickleden always feels like a slog on the way back.
 pog100 25 Apr 2009
In reply to Removed User:

That is a great route, and my preferred one, but maybe a bit long for a 9 year old unless he/she is experienced.

To the OP: By the way, ignore the idiot who mentioned Piers Gill, he is trying to be funny, or hasn't read your OP.
 Chris Harris 25 Apr 2009
In reply to pog100:

> To the OP: By the way, ignore the idiot who mentioned Piers Gill, he is trying to be funny, or hasn't read your OP.

Thanks for calling me an idiot.
Now maybe you'd care to explain why?

Only a hill 25 Apr 2009
In reply to Chris Harris:
Piers Gill is about Severe, ie. not a family walk!
 sheeny 25 Apr 2009
In reply to mp93899:
corridor route from seathwaite nice walk
wasdale shortest but boring slog
langdale longest but boring slog
 Chris Harris 25 Apr 2009
In reply to mp93899:
I'd like to think that people would be bright enough to realise I didn't mean up the bed of the gill, but the path alongside it.

If I'd suggested going up from Borrowdale via Grains Gill & Ruddy Gill, would people think I was suggesting following the bed of the ghyll?

Removed User 25 Apr 2009
In reply to mp93899: It depends on where you are starting from of course, but I would prefer Wasdale(Brackenclose) via Mickledore then depending on how keen they are chose an appropriate descent. Shortest is obviously Lingmell col to Hollowstones. Next would be over Lingmell. Third if they have plenty time would be via Broad Crag and Great End to Esk Hause then Sty Head.

Although the plod up Brown Tongue from Brackenclose is a bit of a drag it gets you into a spectacular location, Mickledor is an easy scramble and the route is short thus achieving the top with time and options on your side.

Of course being from the Wasdale side I'm biased, but from the east it's a trudge. It also gives you a great feel for the layout of Scafell and the Pike as individual hills.

mp93899 25 Apr 2009
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Usermp93899) It depends on where you are starting from of course, but I would prefer Wasdale(Brackenclose) via Mickledore then depending on how keen they are chose an appropriate descent. Shortest is obviously Lingmell col to Hollowstones. Next would be over Lingmell. Third if they have plenty time would be via Broad Crag and Great End to Esk Hause then Sty Head.
>
> Although the plod up Brown Tongue from Brackenclose is a bit of a drag it gets you into a spectacular location, Mickledor is an easy scramble and the route is short thus achieving the top with time and options on your side.
>
> Of course being from the Wasdale side I'm biased, but from the east it's a trudge. It also gives you a great feel for the layout of Scafell and the Pike as individual hills.

Thanks for the advise, how well defined are the paths on this route?
 sutty 25 Apr 2009
In reply to mp93899:

I have done the first route in reverse with no map or compass in the mist just following the scratchmarks on the rocks so fairly well marked. I have been up several times before though so knew roughly where I was going and was prepared to retrace my tracks if something did not seem right.

You will probably find lots of people up there on a fine day, in bad weather it is just a trog with little to see .
 Horse 25 Apr 2009
In reply to mp93899:

I have always preferred to go from Eskdale starting at the bottom of Hardknott then up to Great Moss via Scales Force. Once on the Moss gone up to Mickledore and then to the top. I did this with my boys when they were about 9. It has the attraction of being quite varied terrain so although a long way it doesn't seem a slog.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...