UKC

How do you find a leak in a sleeping mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 16 May 2009
without submerging in water. I have a self inflating mat which is deflating, any tips on finding the leak appreciated
Cheers Beds
medman 16 May 2009
In reply to J1234: why not put it in the bath??
J1234 16 May 2009
In reply to medman:
Just sounds messy, its a double, but it may come to that, just thought I`d ask before doing.
 craig h 16 May 2009
In reply to J1234:

Sponge down with a water and washing up liquid mix, the leak should start to bubble if you have added enough washing up liquid!
Snorkers 16 May 2009
In reply to J1234:

Stick it in the bath. They're waterproof (obviously) and dry very fast. I had a Therarest that leaked slowly - I couldn't find the leak anywhere, even when submerging and compressing the mat. I eventually surmised that it was probably an issue with the valve. Russ from the sadly redundant Escape Outdoors shop in Aber contacted Thermarest on my behalf and they replaced it without question, even though it was several years old. Very impressed with the service.
J1234 16 May 2009
In reply to Snorkers:
Thanks for the replies, I have tried all suggestions but cannot find the leak. I may return to the supplier.
Cheers Beds
 gear boy 19 May 2009
In reply to J1234: increase the pressure, blow up hard fold in half or quarter and then try submergence..

if not contact lindsay at first ascent in matlock, they are the importers

hth
J1234 19 May 2009
In reply to gear boy:
Thanks for that but it`s an Alpkit one.
 jkarran 19 May 2009
In reply to J1234:

It may not have a leak as such, it could just have a porous area. Washing up liquid and water will find it either way if you look closely enough and keep the pressure up. Check the valve too.

jk
 Jenny C 19 May 2009
Another vote for washing up liquid, coat the mat with a stong solution trying to avoid getting any froth. Make sure the mat is fully inflated and sit/compress to maximise pressure and look very carefully for bubbles.

I would suggest going the mat in sections, not forgetting to check if it's the valve itsself which is leaking.
 gear boy 19 May 2009
In reply to J1234:
> (In reply to gear boy)
> Thanks for that but it`s an Alpkit one.

well speak to nick or jim then!!
 winhill 19 May 2009
In reply to J1234:

Although i can see the benefits of submergence, how would you get the water out again afterwards?
 L.A. 19 May 2009
In reply to winhill: The water doesnt enter the mat-The air pressure inside the mat pushes out forming bubbles...
 Padraig 19 May 2009
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to bedspring)
>
" how would you get the water out again afterwards?"

If it's a normal bath just pull plug?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...