UKC

Arc'teryx goes Gucci

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 02 Jun 2009
So the king of outdoor gear is apparently taking their techno to the streets, http://veilance.arcteryx.com/

I give it a year after autumn 09 untill TNF do the same :P
 CragX Shop 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Gaz lord: You mean TNF haven't already?

The Arcteryx Veilance is apparently only coming out in a few boutiques (mainly in London I think) in the foreseeable future so I don't think you'll see it taking over climbing or outdoor shops.
Iain
 Morgan Woods 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Gaz lord:

i think they'll struggle to appeal to non-climbers/skiers....i don't see them having much brand recognition, but plenty of competition.
 Michael Ryan 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to Gaz lord)
>
> i think they'll struggle to appeal to non-climbers/skiers....i don't see them having much brand recognition, but plenty of competition.

It's an elite brand, its lack of recognition amongst the masses is an asset.

You are already seeing Arc'teryx replace the North Face amongst some TV presenters and celebrities.

Arc'teryx is much sought after by shop lifters according to some police. Another good sign.

Be interesting to see the retail prices.

I think it will be very successful.

Mick

Mikkel 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Will you have a new forum ready for this autum, where people can post all the "why do people where XXX on the street" threads?
 Morgan Woods 02 Jun 2009
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> [...]
>

> You are already seeing Arc'teryx replace the North Face amongst some TV presenters and celebrities.
>

true...i think some of the guys on the BBC's ski show wear it.

anyway i am a fan so i say good luck to them.....as long as it doesn't flow over into higher prices for the rest of their range.

btw - some more info on the website might be useful or are they being deliberately vague?
 Chris the Tall 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Gaz lord:
Spent last Friday being dragged round the fashion shops of Milan. Didn't see the Arcteryx shop, which is a pity really.
 brieflyback 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods:

I frequently admire the fine cut of Dr Alice Roberts' Arcteryx jacket on Coast.
 niggle 02 Jun 2009

> Be interesting to see the retail prices.

> I think it will be very successful.

I agree - their prices are already generally higher than most other brands and well within the neighbourhood of the sort of brands they'll want to sit alongside, I think.
In reply to Martin76:

I frequently admire the fine cut of Dr Alice Roberts on Coast.
 Ian McNeill 02 Jun 2009
In reply to captain paranoia:

here here !
In reply to Gaz lord:

Of course, must remember that the ownership tree is:

Amer
Salomon
Arc'teryx

Salomon have had dalliances with crossover garments. I wonder if the design of the Veillance stuff is actually being done by Arc', or by another part of the group, but using the Ar'cteryx name...
 Mikkel 02 Jun 2009
In reply to captain paranoia:

Just had a look at Amers website, didnt know they also owned Suunto and Mavic.

How long have Amer owned Arcteryx, do you know? ( im assuming they bought it at some point, just like VF bought TNF etc)
OP GarethSL 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Mokkel: was bought by saolomon in 2005 when they were owned by addidas
ice.solo 03 Jun 2009
In reply to Gaz lord:

in tokyo mammut, tnf, millet and arcteryx have all had poncy boutiques for a few years. selling bugger all climbing gear but lots of pastel softshells, laptop bags, leather shoes and scarfs. nothing with hoods!

also patagonia has opened surf-style shops with none of their climbing gear but lots of their wetsuits, hawaiian shirts, hippy t-shirts, flip-flops and boardies. kind of a middle aged quiksilver.
LordFlashheart 03 Jun 2009
In reply to ice.solo:
> also patagonia has opened surf-style shops with none of their climbing gear but lots of their wetsuits, hawaiian shirts, hippy t-shirts, flip-flops and boardies. kind of a middle aged quiksilver.

Surfing's been one of Patagonia's core activities for a while now. Their HQ is in Ventura, California - a prime surf location - and the founder's son makes surfboards which he sells from a little shop right next to the HQ shop.
OP GarethSL 03 Jun 2009
In reply to ice.solo:

>
> also patagonia has opened surf-style shops with none of their climbing gear but lots of their wetsuits, hawaiian shirts, hippy t-shirts, flip-flops and boardies. kind of a middle aged quiksilver.

But hasnt patagonia always been a boardriding brand, especially with surfing and snowboarding, dont forget though they also do fishing gear too. Plus Mr Chouinard has the book, let my people surf. I've always seen them as a high quality fatface.
 moo cow 03 Jun 2009
In reply to Gaz lord: Next thing you know, aquascutum will make a technical hard shell for bankers who climb.
ice.solo 04 Jun 2009
In reply to Gaz lord:

totally.
actually i dont really think of patagonia as a climbing brand either.
more outdoor lifestyle wear with a fringe market in hardcore stuff.
Removed User 05 Jun 2009
In reply to ice.solo:

Patagonia has come a long way since its origins in Pacific Iron Works Co. It definitiely falls in to the top-end outdoor lifestlye category now though, especially since BDEL broke away. I'd still sooner by from Patagonia over the over companies listed in this thread though, purely on ethical grounds.
 NickP 05 Jun 2009
In reply to Martin76:

"I frequently admire the fine cut of Dr Alice Roberts' Arcteryx jacket on Coast."

Was she wearing a Jacket? - I didn't notice...
Alpnick 05 Jun 2009
In reply to Removed User:

I dont think we can underestimate the influence that Patagonia has on the equipment we use.
It's a shame it has always been under represented in the UK. But it has never really faulted from making high quality equipment some of which is climbing orientated.

Yvon choinard goes surfing, fishing and climbing so it's only natural that product line reflects this.

Worth a flick through their history
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/patagonia.go?slc=en_US&sct=US&asset...

I know we always seem to see the casual stuff, but they really do quite a lot properly nice climbing stuff like the Mixmaster.

In reply to Alpnick:

> I know we always seem to see the casual stuff, but they really do quite a lot properly nice climbing stuff like the Mixmaster.

I only seem to see the 'technical stuff'; the rest of it is filtered out by my kitmonster-vision...
 Scarab 06 Jun 2009
They have lots of lifestyle and surfing stuff but none of it is "technical". Their only real performance stuff is their mountaineering products. They dont sell wetsuits or any of that stuff.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 06 Jun 2009
In reply to Gaz lord: I would Black Diamond gear if they went 'Gucci'

I have a (fashionable) orange t-shirt from The North Face, it looks pretty awesome
 gabriel_m 07 Jun 2009
In reply to Gaz lord:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> [...]
>
> But hasnt patagonia always been a boardriding brand, especially with surfing and snowboarding, dont forget though they also do fishing gear too. Plus Mr Chouinard has the book, let my people surf. I've always seen them as a high quality fatface.

Actually the french version of the book has the original name, which was obviously not thought catchy enough for the west coast youth, A Businessman Despite Myself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...