UKC

hard shell OR soft shell pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 katie75 25 Jun 2009
Hi,
i am looking at replacing my poor old crampon ripped waterproof trousers for this years Alps trip, but i am considering just going for a pair a scholler fabric mammut trousers instead.
so what would you experienced caps recommend for me?
i also need something for Scottish winter too (so long as i have a better winter than last year)
thanks in advance
k
In reply to katie75: the wee four eyed one, Kirkpatrick? said soft shell is soft shite.

Thats about as much as I remember
 fishy1 25 Jun 2009
In reply to katie75: I'd go softshell, paramo aspira trousers. Very nice to wear all the time, I never wear anything under them and have always been warm and comfy.

Although I have trashed the knees, but that can be resown, and a big hole in the back of them. Also got a hole when an ice axe went through, missed my inner thigh, and out the other side. Maybe mod them to be reinforced at the kne.
 Tom Last 25 Jun 2009
In reply to katie75:

Hi Katie.

I have some Mountain Hardware scholler trousers and they're so ridiculously bomber.

I've worn the same pair for rock and winter climbing, mountain biking, running, trekking and travelling for the past five years and they've barely got a mark on them.

Couldn't say about Mammut, but Scholler seems indestructable!
 Taba 25 Jun 2009
In reply to Fawksey:

Not quite, he said soft-shell jackets without a hood are "soft as shite" I think. He actually sings the praises of Schoeller troos.

Standard and probably correct advice is to buy some Schoeller troos and some cheap lightweight waterproofs with full side zips (important) to stick in your pack for if/when a storm comes. Cos if it aint raining you dont want to be wearing waterproofs in summer in the alps really.
 Taba 25 Jun 2009
Just read your post again and saw that you want something for scottish winter too, its hard to give good advice for something to cover both alps and scotland really... Best would be get a heavyweight pair of waterproofs for scotland, that you can wear most of the time and a lightweight pair for the alps to keep for emergencies, these can be fairly cheap like Marmot Precip (£60ish).
In reply to Taba: ok, I have the article somewhere. By the way Katie, hes a bloke
OP katie75 25 Jun 2009
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to Taba) ok, I have the article somewhere. By the way Katie, hes a bloke
hi Fawksey, i've been hiding away for a bit, so alot of recent UKCers wont know this, i'll be getting personal emails again to meet up for climbs etc.
but i thought it was time to come back again.
k
xx
(just to confuse a few)
OP katie75 25 Jun 2009
In reply to Queequeg: good advise,
i have a pair of berghaus scholler trousers already, and they are superb (thanks willy), but a bit old.
so i presume a new pair will be more water resistant?

Taba 26 Jun 2009
In reply to katie75:
> (In reply to Queequeg) good advise,
> i have a pair of berghaus scholler trousers already, and they are superb (thanks willy), but a bit old.
> so i presume a new pair will be more water resistant?

How water resistant were they when you got them?

I don't expect alot of water resistance from a soft-shell. I would expect snow to slide off (apart from really stick snow), and I would expect them to be very quick drying, wind resistant, comfortable and breathable. If the Schoeller is well worn sometimes it gets bobbly and snow will stick to it.
 TobyA 26 Jun 2009
In reply to Queequeg:
> but Scholler seems indestructable!

Pretty hard wearing but by no means indestructible. I've had some Patagonia guide pants which are good but they have a few wear holes mainly from rock climbing in them. They are 7 years old though so great value for money. Great to climb in though with four way stretch.
 sasmojo 26 Jun 2009
In reply to katie75: I know you said softshell, but you did also mention Scotland and the Alps in the same paragraph. A challenge for any bit of kit.

I can recommend Paramo jackets, but have no experience of their troos, they just don't fit me well and I run a bit hot.

I wear the male version of these http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/hardshell/womens_ama_... the Karakorum and they are brilliant in both Scotland, the Alps and on ice, not too heavy either. They to date have been crampon proof as well. I normally just wear thermals or my Mountain Stretch (these are bomb proof also) troos under them.

Hope that helps.

S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...