UKC

Mini guide to Bisperode, Ith, Germany. You'll need it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 eldre070 05 Jul 2009
If there any climbers out there living in Germany (mainly Forces) then you may find this useful.

Today, 3 German friends and I went to Bisperode, Ith. The crags can be found in an out-or-print guide called 'Klettern Im Norden'. It's easier to source the Holy Grail than this guide but I've managed to get a copy, albeit on CD ROM (anyone wants a copy just let me know).

The main reason for this mini-guide is because we had a mini-epic finding the crags themselves. Here goes:

1. Drive to Bisperode village (near Hameln - of Pied Piper fame)
2. You should be able to see a large forest on the hill behind the village and a tall aerial. The crags are at the bottom of the aerial in the trees. Some crags you may be able to see poking through the trees.
3. Drive out of the village on Lange Strasse towards Lauenstein. After about 3kms turn left towards Lauenstein. The forest and aerial will now be in front of you on the left. Keep driving up the hill until you pass a quarry about 3 kms, near the top of the hill. Take the next left after the quarry and park in the carpark. It has a red/white barrier. It's not signed and is a mare to find.
4. Walk for 30/35 mins up the only track available and you will reach the 'turm' or the Tower, next to the aerial. You should now see a sign called Klettern Im Norden. The first crags are directly below the tower (Areas 36 - 38).
5. The best crags (Areas 26 and 27) are a 2min50sec walk from the tower past the Klettern im Nordern sign. You will see a very faint path left, marked by a mini-cairn.

It's a great area. 20m solid routes, bolted. Great routes for those climbing French 6b. Enjoy.
 John Ww 06 Jul 2009
In reply to eldre070: "Klettern im Norden" is without doubt the worst guidebook I've ever had the misfortune to use in 30 years of climbing in all areas of Europe! The diagrams bear no resemblence whatsover to the crags (even when you are standing in front of an unmistakeable feature such as a plaque, you still can't make the diagram fit the rock) and the directions are simply wrong in numerous cases. My girlfriend is a native German who has lived all her life in the area and even she can't make sense of them. Believe me, "Rockfax" it aint!! Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...