UKC

Kalymnos guidebook recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ade7 09 Jul 2009
I’m heading out to Kalymnos towards the end of the year and need a guidebook, can anyone offer any recommendations?
 snoop6060 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Ade7:

I posted on this, and I was recommended to get the one from the guys over there, you can contribute to the bolt fund and they give you an uptodate guide to all the crags.

Sure beats paying the £42 advertised at Needle sports for the main guidebook.

Search the forums for kalymnos guidebook, the post will come up.
 Kevin Bowser 09 Jul 2009
In reply to snoop6060: £21.97 at Lakes Climber - http://www.lakesclimber.com/kalymnos-p-5842.html?p=product

They were far cheaper than anywhere else when I was after one.
 Quiddity 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Ade7:

2008 Kalymnos guide on here is the most definitive. The crag shots are not very inspiring however.

www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Greece_135.htm

Mind out as there could be a 2009 edition out between now and when you go and there are still lots of areas being developed. Though seriously doubt you would run out of routes to do in the 2008 edition!

Rockfax mini guide is good but (necessarily) quite selective and does not cover as many areas. Some good new lines have gone up and new areas have been opened up since it was published. However it has better crag shots IMHO.

Lots of grades have gone down in the new local definitive, to the extent that some of the 6s now feel a bit on the harsh side!

Personally I'd take both.
 Quiddity 09 Jul 2009
In reply to MrFlibble:

That would be cheaper than you can buy it on the island. 30 Euros or so out there, IIRC.
 snoop6060 09 Jul 2009
In reply to MrFlibble:
> (In reply to snoop6060) £21.97 at Lakes Climber - http://www.lakesclimber.com/kalymnos-p-5842.html?p=product
>
> They were far cheaper than anywhere else when I was after one.

Good man, am buying it now. not sure why needle sports are charging twice this!
 Max factor 09 Jul 2009
In reply to snoop6060:

maybe a mistake? they are normally pretty competitive.
 Max factor 09 Jul 2009
In reply to plexiglass_nick:

what are the new crags like? any gems been developed since 2007?

Alos, guess the road between massouri and Rathi is now open- so much easier to get across the island.
 Kevin Bowser 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Max_01:
> (In reply to snoop6060)
>
> maybe a mistake? they are normally pretty competitive.

Most places seem to sell it for between £35-40. I was half expecting to receive an old version from Lakes Climber, but it was the most recent one. No idea how they're able to sell it so much cheaper...
 Big Steve 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Ade7: Got mine free from the Kalymnos stand at this years outdoor show
 Quiddity 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Max_01:

Yes, many of them worth going to. We only went to one new area when we were over there - Dophin Bay, across the bay from Kastelli - nicely situated, good, slightly adventurous feeling routes in the 5s and low 6s on good clean moon-style rock. lots of jugs and incuts. No real hard stuff but definitely worth a visit for those looking for climbing in the mid grades.

Lots of areas have opened up on the main section of crag I believe.

Also - yes, the road is now open, but we were on foot so didn't make much use of it.
 Max factor 09 Jul 2009
In reply to plexiglass_nick:

Dolphin bay rings a bell (not got the guide here), seem to remember an ab in, so think that is in my guide already.

Telendos was seeing more activity when we where last there too- sort of expecting some new sectors to have been opened up there. We are heading back armed with the old guide this Oct, but don't fancy updating for £40! Doesn't matter too much, will just find out where to go and cadge a look at some else's guide.
 hillman 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Ade7: Steve at Glaros bar has the best updated info on new routes. A nice supplement to the Kalymnos guide.

And he hands them out for free, but you really should donate some Euros which goes to bolts used on the island.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...