UKC

Soft shell for rough rock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
janne 14 Jul 2009
I just destroyed my Montane krypton hoody (shelled microfleece) on the rough Lofoten granite. I'd really need a much more hard wearing soft shell top. I want it to keep out the wind, offer some insulation, shrug off light rain and dry quickly. And not be sweaty and uncomfortable of course. Any good ones out there? A helmet compatible (ecrin roc) hood would be a plus.

I've been considering the Rab Baltoro guide and the Patagonia guide jackets. The Patagonia Ascensionist might not be strong enough but seems to have a decent hood.

thanks
 woollardjt 16 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: hi

I have both the rab winter baltoro guide and Patagonia winter guide jackets. I've used them alot in chamonix and also on some Cornish granite. They've both stood up well, both have some nicks in the fabric. I personally prefer the Patagonia fit wise as I'm tall and lanky and is a bit more breathable. However the hood on the rab is bigger.
 galpinos 16 Jul 2009
In reply to janne:

There's no hood on the guide jacket.

Personally I use a R1 hoody with a thin pertex smock, as I've already got a winter softshell and a paclite so another jacket is just decadent.

What about a Rab Vapour Rise/Marmot dry climb?

(Rab Baltoro is pretty warm and heavy as I remember)
In reply to janne: I've had a Rab VR Climb, Montane Scarab and Patagonia Ascentionist.

The VR Climb was suprisingly tough. The Scarb (what I replaced it with) seems to be holding up ok). Neither of these are particularly rainproof, but I don't expect them to be.

I mainly use my Patagonia Ascentionist for scottish winter. Seems to be holding up well so far - 1 small rip where I had something hard in a pocket and it got knicked on the rock. It's certainly not super-tough, but them, it's not super-heavyweight.

If you want bomproof toughness then you're going to be sacrificing comfort. I'd say go cheap and replace when trashed! There's not much that can withstand Lofoten Granite!
janne 16 Jul 2009
Hi,

Neither the Rab VR nor the Marmot driclime fit me, both just uncomfortable. I have a Rab Phantom hoody in size small that has a pretty good fit, but it's not that wind proof.

Patagonia slim size small usually fits me ok so maybe I should just go for a guide jacket. Is it slimmer than the Rab jacket, and long enough not to ride up in the waist?

Klättermusen have some pretty bombproof gear, but they're certainly not cheap.

Wind shirts a great for walking but obviously not strong enough on sharp rock. That Lofoten granite is exceptionally rough though, but didn't mind that on the slabs at all!
 KA 16 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: The Marmot Dry Clime will last about 5 minutes on granite. Something made with Schoeller would be far more robust.
 Simon Lyons 16 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: Have you looked into the Swedish 'Fjall Raven' brand? I have one of their soft shell jackets and its great. Made for the 'Storm Blocker' material its not the best one they offer but it takes ages for the wet to go through it and it dryes real quick, even better if you wear it. Mine dosent have a hood on but its got a great big zip up collor. They do make 'Wind Stopper' ones as well, made of 'G500' and they are supposed to be even better. They do look the dogs danglers as well! Dont know if this helps???
K. William 16 Jul 2009
janne 19 Jul 2009
Yep, Fjällräven is a well known brand here in Finland, but their gear is more hiking stuff. That said, the g-1000 fabric is tough so if thay made something out of that which was suitable then maybe.

Thanks for your answers, a Klättermusen mithril would probably be strongest, but perhaps not very windproof. I'll have to try out a few different softshells but will probably go for a Patagonia guide jacket (maybe a rab one as well, if I can find a cheap one).
Ian Black 19 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: Highly recommend the Patagonia Dimension. Not as warm as the winter guide but layer accordingly, and far more versatile than the winter guide.
Mad Jack 20 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: Can I suggest that you have a look at the Berghaus Choktoi fleece? Windproof, with pitzips to vent if you get warm.

I've thrutched up a grit chimney in it and still looks good as new.
In reply to Ian Black: Doesn't exist any more!

Was it you that bought the jacket from me, or am I being mistaken?
In reply to janne: I've used a MHW Alchemy on very very rough rock, absolutely indestructible.
Ian Black 20 Jul 2009
In reply to Fultonius:
> (In reply to Ian Black) Doesn't exist any more!
>
> Was it you that bought the jacket from me

Affraid not mate.

mountainsheep 20 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: I have a mountain equipment astron and i have dragged it up a few grit routes and there is no sighn of damage on it and it is pretty light weight.
 Craig Geddes 20 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: My North Face Apex material trousers have taken ridiculous amounts of abuse over 5 years and stand as my hardest wearing piece of kit. They even withstood a fall that took all the skin off my kneecap down to the bone. If they make anything sutible then I can't recomend that material enough.
 Dan Arkle 20 Jul 2009
being a cheap git, let me reccommend my Regatta X-ert performance soft shell.

It isn't abolutely waterproof.
It is not the lightest on the market.
Others are almost certainly harder wearing.
It is an unfashionable brand.

On the plus side it costs £30 from CCC, is fairly waterproof, windproof and hard wearing. If I do wear it out, which seems unlikely I can then buy another four the same and still have change from the price of a Patagucci
 woollardjt 21 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: in an earlier post someone said the Patagonia jacket does not have A hood. The winter guide jacket does have a hood. They are very different jackets.
Will1981 21 Jul 2009
In reply to janne: mountain equipment G2 alpine jacket. absolutely fantastic! but a tad expensive haha
janne 03 Aug 2009
Found a Patagonia guide jacket on sale in my size. Seems pretty good for what I'm afer but time will tell. No hood, that's the winter version, but I figured I won't be using it much in the rain anyway.

That ME Astron jacket looks interesting, might be great as a winter shell. I've been trying a Furtech last winter and spring and been mostly pleased. Wouldn't use it on sharp rock too much though.
 GarethSL 03 Aug 2009
In reply to janne:

>
> Klättermusen have some pretty bombproof gear, but they're certainly not cheap.

or well made, was reallynot impressed with the quality compared to the price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...