UKC

Primus eta express vs jetboil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gordon Ross 19 Jul 2009
just looking for some advice before i fork out some hard earned. any advice welcome
 bivy spirit 19 Jul 2009
In reply to gordon Ross:

i stuck out a post asking people to talk me out of the jetboil a week or two ago and for all that the majority of those who passed comment were very positive about it, there were quite a few and rather convinving criticisms. it was enough to make me look further afield and sure enough i started to find comparisons between the jetboil and the eta...
neither your profile nor your post give anything away about how you're likely to use a stove so it's quite hard to advise. but it depends partly on how high you use it, how cold, how exposed... what kind of food you want to eat etc.

but if you want to know which one's best, my digging indicates that the eta wins hands down. better build quality, performs better at altitude, extremes of temperature, in windy conditions and is more versatile because it's got the wee pot instead of the neoprene mug. faster. more efficient. less gimmicky too perhaps?! i don't know if you can hang it the way you can a jetboil and it doesn't have a piezo (which by all accounts buggers up on the jetboil anyway)... also suppose it's a matter of how hooked you are on the idea of it all slotting together (the eta doesn't) but if you're likely to do more than boil water or eat boil in the bag on solo trips then you'll get more performance and versatility out of the eta.

if you're lucky then belfast jon will be along with some numbers and a smidge of metaphysics to help you make your decision...

but if you're talking expedition or big mountain use... got to be the eta.
 bivy spirit 19 Jul 2009
In reply to gordon Ross:

ooooops forgot the link!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=361483&v=1#x5282576

it's more a jetboil than eta thread but will maybe give you an idea to get you started...

gordon Ross 21 Jul 2009
In reply to bivy spirit: thanks for replying

yeah your right my usual standard of post is pretty vague. its not likely to be used for anything higher than 3000m. probably just use it for over nighters or a couple of days. as for what im cooking, im not sure really. thanks for the link, it'll give me plenty to think about
 54ms 21 Jul 2009
In reply to gordon Ross:

Why not just get something a lot cheaper and lighter and carry a little more gas if your not using it for anything extreme?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...