UKC

North Wales info - Slate and Gogarth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 31 Jul 2009
2 quick questions:

Slate - I read the post on the BMC forum a short while back about the footpath closure and from that it implied that you could still access Rainbow Slab/Colossus/German Schoolgirl etc (those lower levels). It suggested California, Dalis Hole, Twll Mawr and Never Never Land were the areas affected, and as far as I remember (my slate guide is at home) the area I mentioned doesn't fall into any of those. Am I right? Don't want to upset a delicate situation if not so thought it better to double check.

Gogarth - what are the slightly softer parts like after rain? Red/Yellow Walls and Mousetrap Zawn have routes on which currently appeal to me but if its set to rain heavily tonight I'm wondering whether it might not be a bit muddy and minging? I assume the rest of the crag is fairly ok though, its always seemed to dry pretty quick on main cliff etc?

Cheers,

AJM at work
 AJM 31 Jul 2009
In reply to Anonymous:

No-one?
 Pagan 31 Jul 2009
In reply to Anonymous:

AFAIK the Rainbow Walls are ok to go on but it may be worth double checking once you're down there. There's always Vivian too, which is definitely ok to get into.

South Stack - I've abbed into both Red Walls after a spell of wet weather and ended up prussiking out from LH and climbing the escape route from RH - they both seem to seep a bit in places. Personally I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that grey sandy stuff if it was at all damp - it would make some already unnerving routes feel more exciting than I'd be comfortable with. Ditto for Mousetrap Zawn. I've only been on Yellow Wall the once but the rock on The Moon was definitely much more solid than the Red Wall stuff and would be less of an issue if it was wet. Dunno how wet it gets down there though - it's all pretty steep...
 johnnorman 31 Jul 2009
In reply to Anonymous:

Slate - Bus stop, Vivian, Rainbow slab and Colossus wall are all ok to visit but not sure about the rest of the quarries. So if your not sure i guess its better to stay out.

Gogarth - Dont know how dirty Red/Yellow walls or Mousetrap Zawn will be, but i guess there is still a lot of birds about and a lot of Poo.
The main cliff, Wen Zawn and the other areas should be fine.
 AJM 31 Jul 2009
In reply to Pagan:

Cheers for the responses guys. Probably try slate tomorrow and then have a look at gogarth Sunday, there's plenty of stuff on upper tier et al if those routes look damp...

AJM
 AJM 03 Aug 2009
In reply to AJM:

Hit tremadog in the end on sat, then did red wall yesterday - the grey talcum powder sections would have been so scary in the wet - felt a big enough outing already!

Cheers for the pointers once more...

AJM
 AJM 03 Aug 2009
In reply to AJM:

Oh and if anyone is thinking of it red wall is guano free at the moment to all intents and purposes. Wendigo on the other hand has streaks visible from castell Helen!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...