UKC

Trouser recomendations for the OMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 antwan 06 Aug 2009
As i don't own any trousers that are on the acceptable kit list, Can anyone recommend some?

Preferably Patagonia because i can get 10% off wholesale price thanks to a very nice friend, but i don't think they do mountain trousers, do they?

Also any tent suggestions under £100 are welcome too...

Thankyou
 lithos 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:

arrgos pro action tent - if you are really on a budget - 25 quid and a tight squeeze

trousers - ron hills ! 10 quid
 galpinos 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:

Shorts if warm

Ron-hills or any other tights (non-branded if on a budget) if cold.
johnSD 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:

Do you mean waterproof trousers? Go for something cheap and thin like the Trespass ones that come in a wee stuff sac - they're even apparently breathable, but that's not really of much concern.

For tents, try and get a Eurohike Backpacker 210 cheaply second hand on Ebay, replace the poles with alloy ones, and use the minimum number of lightweight pegs you can get away with (either from another tent you have, or buy a few v-type ones and then short stubby plastic groundsheet pegs). Weighs around 1.8 kg total, is comfy for two (with practical entrance so you don't need to climb over each other), and handles the wind okay.
 Marek 06 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos:
Helly long johns plus running shorts for that retro look!
Actually, its an very effective combination - I usually found it too warm in all but the coldest weather.
OP antwan 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan: I've got waterproof's, looking for something to 'run' with if you can call my ploding a run.

Not massivly keen on tights, I'd like somethign a little looser and more trouser like
 galpinos 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:

> Not massivly keen on tights, I'd like somethign a little looser and more trouser like

I'd go with tights or shorts.

Firstly, you'll look like a tool and at these events, everyone looks a tool so you'll fit right in.

Secondly, trousers are pretty uncomfy to run in.
 lithos 06 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos:

well ron hillls don't have to be that tight, could use something like montane terra (or terra zip-offs - shorts or longs) I usually take with me shorts, tights, legging and decide on the day depending on forecast/weather.
johnSD 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:
>
> Not massivly keen on tights, I'd like somethign a little looser and more trouser like

You can get Ronhills that aren't tight, but I can't remember their full name. Sure they're DXB something or other. I used them for a couple of years before switching to tights, and wouldn't go back.
 galpinos 06 Aug 2009
In reply to johnSD:
> (In reply to antwan)
> [...]
>
> You can get Ronhills that aren't tight, but I can't remember their full name. Sure they're DXB something or other.

Tracksters?
 lithos 06 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos:

yea i don't think normal std tracksters are tight, the OP should try em on, he'll get 10 pairs for the price of a patagucci offering even with discount
 Tony the Blade 06 Aug 2009
In reply to lithos:
> (In reply to galpinos)
>
> [...] and decide on the day depending on forecast/weather.

I can give you that now... Wet and windy!
johnSD 06 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to johnSD)
> [...]
>
> Tracksters?

Don't think so - the ones I'm thinking of have zips at the ankles, no stirrups, and are much thicker material. They're more like slim fitting trackie bottoms than classic ronhills. Maybe they don't do them anymore, I can't see them online.
johnSD 06 Aug 2009
In reply to johnSD:

Might be the Ronhill "Trek"
OP antwan 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan: I'll visit the local running shop next week when i'm on the late shift and have a look at his range of ronhills and such

Must admit they are cheap, and thats appealing! I'm off for my first training run! see if i can manage the 1 and half mile on the flat round the local pond without stopping!
OP antwan 06 Aug 2009
In reply to johnSD:

> Might be the Ronhill "Trek"

They look spot on
 lithos 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:

trek would be too warm IMHO esp when combined with O/Trs
 bouldery bits 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:

Hey Antwan, what distance are you doing? Good luck (shorts and tights is best in my opinion)
baron 06 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan: If the weather is anything like it was last year then waders would be best.

pmc
OP antwan 06 Aug 2009
In reply to bouldery bits: Having a go at the short score, What are you entered in?

I'm thinking shorts, shorts and over's if its wet, and trousers if its really cold and windy. Just dont own any suitable trousers yet!
 pog100 06 Aug 2009
In reply to johnSD:
I wore those one year and the thicker seams wore my inner thighs raw! I much prefer the bog (pun intended) standard ones, with the ineffetive 'go faster' stripes.
Mike
 bouldery bits 07 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:

Also doing Short score it's my first OMM but I've done lots of mountain running. See you there.

Oli
 galpinos 07 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan:
> (In reply to bouldery bits) Having a go at the short score, What are you entered in?
>
> I'm thinking shorts, shorts and over's if its wet, and trousers if its really cold and windy. Just dont own any suitable trousers yet!

You'll have to take some full "warm" leg wear so it makes sense to have something you can run in if needs be.

Make sure, whatever clothing and kit you decide on, you have a good run around in it before hand. It's amazing what starts to rub after a few hours.
 lummox 07 Aug 2009
In reply to antwan: three quarter length leggings for me- keep quads and knees warm but you don`t get bogged down when running through water/mud for hours- not that it`s ever wet on the KIMM...
 galpinos 07 Aug 2009
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to antwan) three quarter length leggings for me...

Do they class as your "full leg cover" item (or whatever it's called)?
 lummox 07 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to lummox)
> [...]
>
> Do they class as your "full leg cover" item (or whatever it's called)?

Nope- that`s what my smelly helly longjohns are for ( and keeping warm at the overnight )...
 galpinos 07 Aug 2009
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to galpinos)
> [...]
>
> Nope- that`s what my smelly helly longjohns are for ( and keeping warm at the overnight )...

Can't beat smelly Hellys.

The crotch of my Ron Hills has finally disintegrated so am on the look out for some new tights. Ron Hills have quite a few more up to date styles since I last bought a pair!
 lummox 07 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos: Up and Running sell 3/4 tights called bogtrotters or similar which seem to do the job...
 galpinos 07 Aug 2009
In reply to lummox:

Cheers, I'll have a look.
stupot 07 Aug 2009
In reply to galpinos:

I did the LAMM this year

in my new running tights

which have a zipped key pocket at the back

which is just next to where the bottom of my sack rests

so I ended up with a zip shaped weal at the back of my waist

Next year I will use my older tights with no pockets!
 Carolyn 07 Aug 2009
In reply to baron:
> (In reply to antwan) If the weather is anything like it was last year then waders would be best.

Oh, but such a pain if the water does come over the top...... maybe drysuit would be better? But it can't be wetter than last year, right? Hmmmm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...