UKC

my MSR dragonfly burnt holes in the supplied windshield.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davefount 13 Aug 2009
Whilst recently using my MSR dragonfly stove, with the supplied MSR windshield wrapped resonably tightly around the pot and stove, I observed what at first glance seemed to be a minor and momentry flare up. On closer inspection the stove appeared to have burnt a hole (golf ball sized) in the windshield. This has since happended to the windshield again.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this? I am fairly sure the idea of these windsheids (the flexable metal ones) is that you wrap them around the stove fairly closely. I know these stoves burn hot, but considering this is expedition kit I'm quite disapointed...
 jkarran 13 Aug 2009
In reply to davefount:

The windshield is aluminium, it's melting point is way below the flame temperature, if it's not kept cool (by wind) it needs keeping away from the flame. I'm not having a dig by the way, just explaining. Maybe the instructions should be better?

jk
Juki 13 Aug 2009
In reply to davefount:
I think that according the manual you should leave at least 1-inch gap between the pot and the windshield.

I've used the Whisperlite with the windshield about ten years and never seen anything like that. But I always leave s small gap between the pot and the windshield.

Check your manual.
ceri 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Juki: agreed, we eventually got cracks from folding the windshield, but never a hole.
to the OP: how tight is tightly wrapped?
rackandruin 13 Aug 2009
In reply to ceri: Stoves need oxygen to burn properly. By wrapping the windshield tightly around the stove and pot you are cutting down the supply and eventually will prevent the stove from working properly. You should always leave a gap around the pot to allow the air to mix
Anglesey Pete 13 Aug 2009
In reply to davefount: I lent my whisperlite to a mate, he burn holes in the windshield, because he didn't know how to use it properly. I hadn't burnt it in 3 years.
rackandruin 13 Aug 2009
In reply to Anglesey Pete: Just checked the instructions for my XGK-
'Use windscreen to improve performance in all conditions Leave a 1"gap between windscreen and pot'
 L.A. 13 Aug 2009
In reply to davefount: And the instructions for the Dragonfly say exactly the same-

Fold the ends of Windscreen together.
Leave a 1-inch (2.5-cm) gap between Windscreen and pot for optimal performance.
Use Windscreen to improve performance in all conditions.
OP davefount 13 Aug 2009
In reply to L.A.: Ok. Looks like its my fault then. I had a gap of between one and half a centimetre. should have read the manual.

I had assumed enough oxygen would be able to get in through the open bit where the fuel pipe goes.

Thanks all
In reply to davefount:

> I had assumed enough oxygen would be able to get in through the open bit where the fuel pipe goes

You also need to let the hot gas escape up the side of the pan...
 jamestheyip 14 Aug 2009
In reply to davefount:

If you need a new windshield you can just cut and fold up the base of an disposable barbecue. You need either the big 'family' version or two of the normal ones joined together (by folding). I lost my original windshield after 12 years of use. Made a taller windshield with BBQ base and found the stove burns much quicker now. It's a bit tricky to fit the pot handles through the tall windshield though.
 threepeaks 15 Aug 2009
In reply to davefount: For car camping I use a Tatonka folding windshield - a great bit of durable kit. Good luck with the new windshield - I love my Dragonfly! Dave S
 Siward 15 Aug 2009
In reply to Dave Sarkar: Yeh in the days when I used a 'proper' primus stove the instructions always said to leave a gap around the base of the pan. If not the heat would start to melt the solder holding the stove together!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...