UKC

Visiting New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Peasant 16 Aug 2009
I posted the following on a New Zealand mountain forum but have had no replies so far. So I wondered if anybody on here has any ideas:-

I am visiting New Zealand from 25th September for 2 weeks, based in Christchurch, and would like to do a bit of climbing or mountaineering. I will probably have 4 or 5 days available and wondered what advice you might have regarding what might be possible. I'm middle aged and a mid grade climber. I haven't worked out your grades yet, but climb about HVS here and Alpine AD. I'm aware that it will be spring and maybe a bit early in the season. Have been told by the relatives in Christchurch that there should be some skiing not far away.

I should be able to bring harness, boots, crampons and axes if its worth it, and will probably hire a car at some point.

Thanks for reading my ramblings - any ideas will be gratefully received.

Thanks
 KiwiPrincess 16 Aug 2009
In reply to The Peasant:

Hi I am a long way from Christchurch down in Queenstown but I have been mountaineering a bit in Spring( October) as the Crevasses are filled in. You may be best to contact a guiding company, if you go with a guide you can rent gear reasonably. Mt cook area might be a good start?

There is loads of rock climbing in and around Christchurch that is year round, of a good grade range.

Sorry I'm not of much help, but I thought you needed some company.

HVS is 18/19 in a grade comparison in a guide book I have? 18 is like 6a french!
 KiwiPrincess 16 Aug 2009
In reply to The Peasant:
Another forum to try
www.mojozone.co.nz- mainly rockclimbing but it is a huge crossover. There is a mountains and a buddys section
 jacobfinn 16 Aug 2009
I'm also off to NZ at the end of Sept, and like you posted on a site looking for buddies/advice - same result!

A Kiwi friend loaned me a copy of "Queenstown Rock, Ice and Mixed" published by the Queenstown CLimbing Club, and this has loads of info and topos on climbing in the area. The NZ Alpine Club web site sells it.

Any advice on rock climbing or partners living in the Wanaka area much appreciated. I'm also keen to do so mountain biking, either in the Nelson area or down by Wanaka. Again advice much appreciated.
OP The Peasant 16 Aug 2009
In reply to KiwiPrincess:

Thanks for your replies - I have found a guide to some of the rock climbing areas on the South Island and I'm sure there ought to be people about to team up with.

It does seem looking at the guide sites that the main season for average types to go mountaineering starts in November. I suppose any earlier would be like going to the European Alps in May/June. I just thought that there may be someone who has some experience.
 wealer 16 Aug 2009
In reply to jacobfinn: The hospital flat area is a good place to climb, its about 5 minutes outside of wanaka. The Rock deluxe by the new zealand alpine club guidebook covers the whole of the south island or there is a wanaka rock guidebook which you can get from the outdoor shop in wanaka. There are some really good moutain bike trails in queenstown in the woods above. There are also some really nice walks all around the wanaka area.I had a lot of fun climbing in nz. Hope you find this info useful.
 KiwiPrincess 16 Aug 2009
In reply to jacobfinn:
Both Wanaka and Queenstown have great mountain biking
There is a book called Classic NZ mountain bike rides By Kennet brothers
It has all the Rides in NZ
or pop into local Bike shops. There are active clubs with events on etc.

Wanaka is a popular place to climb and we drive over occasionally( 1 hr) Most people will just pop out spur of the moment, you will probably pick up partners on the weekends out there..maybe

PM me when you are near and if I'm here I'll come for a climb but I'm going to be up North most of September working/ riding my bike.
 jacobfinn 17 Aug 2009
Thanks for the info.

Probably going to be in Wanaka mid-October. Looking forward to going. Only six weeks to go!

Ronbo 17 Aug 2009
It is really fantastic, I loved it.

Ron
 boulderholder 17 Aug 2009
In reply to The Peasant:

Hi, with 4-5 days available, it depends on whether you have your own transport? There are loads of places on the South Island to climb rocks or mountains. Assuming you have your own transport you may still be traveling a number of hours, so plan you activities well.

Just a couple of suggestions: For bouldering, Castle Hill is a great area which is about 2.5 hours drive W of Christchurch. For sport climbing Takaka - in Golden Bay area 5+ hours NW drive, Wanaka 5+ hours SW drive, Queens Town 6+ hours SW drive.. Not sure about trad stuff. p.s. Don't quote me on the driving times..

From my nugget of experience, the tramping and mountainous scenery is VERY impressive which is well worth the effort.

See Fiend's great guide to climbing in NZ, http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/nz1.html

Hope this helps.
OP The Peasant 17 Aug 2009
In reply to boulderholder: Thanks for that. I will hire a car, do a round trip, and see what happens.
 Mike Nolan 17 Aug 2009
In reply to The Peasant: Speak to Liam or Brandon Copley who sometimes post on here, or you could try posting on www.red-tips.com as they are on there more than here. They went climbing there last year I think and know quite a bit.

Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...