UKC

Jetboil hanging kits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 csab1978 18 Aug 2009
Hi all
Was wondering if anyone here has tried to make their own hanging kit. Im thinking about doing it myself, and thought id steal some good ideas. Looking and making one preferably without drilling holes in the pot itself.
Cheers
 twm.bwen 18 Aug 2009
In reply to csab1978: looking at doing the same myself as they are disgustingly expensive.

From looking at the pics, its basically 3 bits of ally rod hinged together suspended from wire.
So....
i was going to get 3 long aluminium tent pegs, some stainlees cable from a picture framers along with the crimping bits and see how i went from there.

Let me know how you get on,
In reply to csab1978:

The 'official' kit looks a little unstable to me; seems to be attached to the base of the pot...

You might consider making a cylindrical ring to surround the top of the pot, from steel beercans, with little tabs constructed from which to hang the pot. The ring would be retained under the rolled rim of the pot (like the Caldera Cone), and locked in place by some cunning mechanism (slot & tab, for instance). If you stuck it under the cosy, that would help hold it in place, too.

You'd need to reinforce the tabs (double thickness, for instance), I suspect. Then just use some light chain or stainless wire to create a hanger.

I may have a play tonight...
 vscott 20 Aug 2009
In reply to csab1978: V simple- just sew another loop (use a bit of webbing) onto the cosy opposite the handle one- then clip loops using whatever rack you have. Even on a much abused jetboil the cosy grips the post enough to carry the load of full pot plus gas canister.
In reply to vscott:

I didn't like the idea of relying on the cosy to hold the thing up. Not with fire and hot liquids... My cosy isn't that secure; manufacturing variation, I guess.
In reply to csab1978:

I have this system, and in use. Will take photo and upload.

Bought 30 cm of chain from DIY store (type you use on plug), 2 hooks, and small krab.

Drill two holes in the side of the cup (opposite each other), just under the lip . Attach the two hooks to the ends of the chain, and hook into holes. Find the mioddle of the chain, and insert krab.

Voila !

Cheap , collapsable, stable , versatile and a lot easier than the faff of the three chopsticks jetboil make.

Regards IIM
In reply to industrialiceman:

http://picasaweb.google.com/the.champagne.mc/Jetboil#

Jetboil hanging kit

IIM
OP csab1978 20 Aug 2009
In reply to industrialiceman:
Thanks for the pictures. Looks good.
I remember as a kid i used to make wire traces for pike fishing, its possible i could use so strong trace wire and crimps. If i have time over the weekend, ill post some pic's too.
 leeford 21 Aug 2009
In reply to csab1978:

A variation on the one industrialiceman came up with would be to instead of drilling holes in the cup attach the chains to a big jubliee clip then place jubliee clip over the cup tighten till it is secure under the lip of the cup and hang it from that.

Lee.
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I may have a play tonight..

Play finished...

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/31492/last/1/...

Personally, I'd just drill three small holes in the pot, as per IIM, and use hooks and string; it's well out of the way of flame, so there shouldn't be any chance of the string burning.
OP csab1978 25 Aug 2009
I thought about the non drilling approach with Ti pegs, but in the end i drilling 3 2mm holes arond the top just below the lid.
I then made some small hooks and cover them with electrical cable with the copper stripped out as a non scratch coating. This worked well. I then used 1mm cord and a standard key spit ring and threaded it all together, similar to equilising anchors and tied with a double fishermans. I could have used less cord by just having 3 equal lengths, but i just liked it this way.
Total weigh 4g ,compared to the 45g Jetboil. I not a lightweight freak but just enjoyed making it and saving a little weight.
will post pictures later.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...