UKC

indoor/outdoor rock climbing shoes recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 25 Aug 2009
hi everyone,
my and i would like to start to do some indoor& maybe in the future outdoor climbing,so would you reccommend us the versatile shoes,I was looking at scarpa force, thunder& vantage.Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks
seb
PDB 25 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74:
the best thing to do would be to go to a shop that has a wide range of different makes and models of shoes and try on as many as possible, that way you can find the best shoes for yourself, anyone on here can give you an opinion on what they think is a good shoe and they may well be right, the shoe they put forward as the best will be their number one choice not yours, the best way really is to do things like this for yourself and try on as many different pairs of shoes as you can until you find the right one, also try the same shoes in different sizes too, half a size bigger or smaller can make all the difference, rock boots fit differently to normal shoes so it's important to remember that the size of shoe you normally wear is only a guideline or a starting point.
as a beginner it would be a good idea to go for a shoe with thicker rubber on them so you don't wear them out too quickly which is commonly caused by dragging your toes up the wall, also look for something that is comfortable to walk in as well as climb in.
if not then you can always take your shoes off while resting or belaying which might not be such a problem indoors but outdoors it's not a good idea.

hope this helps
 thin bob 25 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74: yeah, like he said above. The scarpa vantage suited me, supportive footbed, stretched a little so I could wear (v.thin) socks for colder weather. Thick rubber too...
5cifi - BAD SELLER 25 Aug 2009
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74: The Red Chilli Durango is a good starter shoe. 45£ from NeedleSports or The Outdoor Shop. Good features to it and a fairly cheap shoe to learn the techniques with.

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN38188

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Rockboots_16.html

Better to try them on first !

PDB 25 Aug 2009
In reply to 5cifi:
my first rock boots were a pair of boreal zephyrs, they were cheap had thick rubber and they lasted me for my first 6 months or so climbing indoors and then moving on to climb outdoors, I replaced them as soon as I could with boreal stigma's which were great, flexible enough for gripping sloping grit stone and they have very sticky rubber. that was two years ago and since then I won't climb in anything other than 5.10's, I swear by them and nothing else.
In reply to PDB: But for a starter shoe, a 80£ 5.10 would be to much imo. You'd trash them to quickly and then have to spend the same again. The Durvango's have good thick rubber. My son has a pair and he speaks highly of them.
PDB 25 Aug 2009
In reply to 5cifi:
I never said to get 5.10's as a first shoe, I know they would be too much for a beginner, I simply stated that I swear by 5.10's that's all.
Removed User 25 Aug 2009
In reply to 5cifi:
hi again,
I do appreciate your suggestions,I like the reviews of scarpa vantage, at the moment 5.10 would be beyond our means for both of us, rch durvangos are more like it in terms of our needs &price,its nice hearing from u
thanks a lot
seb
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74: Yourself also, I was never suggesting that you should get 5.10 at this stage by the way. I was also not suggesting that PDB was saying you should get 5.10's.

My son likes his (durvango's) alot, only climbs indoors at the moment. The service from The Outdoor Shop is also second to none.

Have you got any alpine trips planed for the coming season ?
Removed User 25 Aug 2009
In reply to 5cifi:
we just came back from dolomites, did a few vfs, local walks and marmolada, so at the moment i try to shift my attention on something more affortable, dont think Ill manage to do anything this winter unfortuntely, but hoping to do monte rosa massif next summer(its so distant that I cant even think about it)and you?
seb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...