UKC

"Esscence C" for MSR stoves...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simes303 26 Aug 2009
When I once went to Chamonix, I was pointed towards something called Esscence C for a cheap and non-sooting alternative to Coleman Fuel. It was available from hardware shops. Does anyone know what it is, and if I can buy it in England?
Cheers, Si.
 chiz 26 Aug 2009
In reply to simes303: I've used it too, in the Pyrennees when I couldn't get anything else. It is listed on the MSR instructions for the dragonfly I seem to remember.
Its actually dry cleaning fluid! Naptha I think, have you tried googling it?
 SteveD 26 Aug 2009
In reply to simes303: If you can get to a garden shop try Aspen 4T (google it) there should be a dealer near you the last lot I got was £14 for 5L - and that includes road tax!

It's fuel for 4 stroke mowers and chain saws burns very clean, there is a 2T as well but that is for 2 Strokes and includes oil.

Steve D
In reply to simes303: Amazing stuff. Works fine in stoves but don't try juggling fire clubs dipped in it; my pal (who shall remain nameless / faceless) once set his head on fire spectacularly while 'busking' in chamonix. It's a bit like napalm.
 alanw 26 Aug 2009
In reply to dan bailey: I'm offended that the word busking is in quote marks. Are you suggesting that, up to the point I set my face on fire, my busking was somehow substandard or unprofessional.
OP simes303 26 Aug 2009
In reply to SteveD:

Thanks for that SteveD.
Ive found this:
http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-4T-alkylate-petrol
Looks perfect.

Also:
http://www.lightweightcampers.org.uk/technical/fuelnames/index.html
may be useful to someone.

In reply to alanw: well you didn't make any beer money
 PGD 26 Aug 2009
In reply to simes303: Hi Si. I'm in sunny Guernsey now. Been out climbing a bit in the last week.

I'm sure Essence C is home dry cleaning fluid. When I was In Africa years ago I couldn't find unleaded fuel but found dry cleaning fluid in a super market.

have fun
Homer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...