UKC

Seam Sealer on Gore-Tex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 03 Sep 2009
I've got some seams coming off a pair of goretex over trousers.

The seal I have is Nas-Coat from Go Outdoors http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/seam-sealant/COREATAKACC232 . It says cotton, canvas, nylon and other synthetic fabrics.

Will this be ok to use or will I need another type ?
 Jamie B 03 Sep 2009
In reply to 5cifi:

As I recall, that stuff is pretty useless. This is much better :http://media.rei.com/media/603034Lrg.jpg

Top tip is to immerse the tube in boiling water prior to use so that it is softer and can be brushed on.

Also stockpile jobs to do as once you have used it once it will solidify in the tube no matter how firmly you put the cap back on.
 CurlyStevo 03 Sep 2009
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
to avoid it solidifying put it in the freezer between jobs.

You can also get iron on strips that are the same as the manufacturer use to seal seams and not as toxic as above.
5cifi - BAD SELLER 03 Sep 2009
In reply to CurlyStevo: Where abouts do these come from ? I couldn't find any for sale on the web.
 Jim Walton 04 Sep 2009
In reply to 5cifi: "Aquasure" is even better, get it from your local watersports store. Its more flexible than seam seal and i have found it lasts much longer
 CurlyStevo 04 Sep 2009
In reply to Jim Walton:
but the iron on strip is about 10 times easier to use and doesn't affect your DNA if you accidentally inhale some!
In reply to 5cifi:

I'd always recommend iron-on seam seal tape (see CurlyStevo's post), but you may not even need that. First, try taking a cool-warm iron over the seam, protecting iron and garment with a piece of brown paper between the two. You may find that you can re-melt the original adhesive into place again.

If not, use the iron technique to remove all the loose stuff before you apply new tape.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...