UKC

Advice Wanted: Using a windproof as a base layer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nige Wheeler 23 Feb 2003
I was recently thinking about buying a Marmot Driclime Windshirt to use mainly as a base layer. My reasoning was that the wicking ability of Driclime meant it best to wear it next to the skin, plus I would have a windproof barrier in my layering system. I also thought that if I needed extra insulation I could just put a fleece on top.

I was then told by a guy in a shop that if I wore a fleece on top of the windproof layer it would defeat the object - the wind would just blow all the warmth out of the fleece and I would still feel cold. I.e. The windproof layer must be on top of your insulation for it to keep you warm.

Does anyone have any views on this? Is there anyone out there who uses a windproof base layer?
 Dan_S 23 Feb 2003
In reply to Nige Wheeler:
Makes sense
The insulating property of a material is to hold warm air next to the skin.
When you use a thermal layer, the air around your body absorbs the heat you produce, and is held, by filaments in the garment.
If you subject a non-windproof layer to wind, any air it has trapped, will get blown out.
Anonymous 23 Feb 2003
In reply to Nige Wheeler: The driclimb windshirt is the single best item of outdoor clothing i have ever bought. Its the best base layer on the market in my opinion, its also nice and slick so layers slide over it really well. Instead of using a fleece over it try a softshell top made of a schoeller or powershield type material. Top combination mate.
Chris Georg 23 Feb 2003
In reply to Anonymous: so would you reccomend something like a driclimb base with a buffalo outer?

the reason i ask is that im a nats chuff away from buying some new clothing and would like the simplest/best option for leightwieght/warmth.
Dave Hunter 24 Feb 2003
The thing to do is put a lightweight synthetic duvet over the top, not a fleece.
So your ideal layering system becomes:
Smartwool thermal
Marmot Driclime hooded pull-on
Patagonia Puff vest
Patagonia Puff jacket (as belay layer).

Apart from the thermal, everything is windproof.
Mellowmark 24 Feb 2003

I am thinking of getting a Marmot Driclime too but see that the Outside website is flogging Mountain Hardwear
Tempest Windshirts [RRP £90] for 50 quid - anyone got one of these, are they pretty much the same thing?? Might be a cheaper option as I can't find the Driclime anywhere for much less than 90 quid.

Matt Wilson 24 Feb 2003

It's all cobblers. I've skied in temperatures of -17 (not including windchill) and never been cold. My layering system is a rash vest (the thing surfers wear under wetsuits), t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt and North Face jacket. No probs.
OP d hunter 24 Feb 2003
In reply to Matt Wilson:
cobblers yourself. jessy skiing isnt the same as climbing where layering is more important. if you disagree i suggest a day out in scotland together- you in yout t shirt and grot-tex me in my cobblers kit and well see whos right.
Graham B 24 Feb 2003
In reply to d hunter:
Quite.
In reply to Matt Wilson:
And I've skied in -35C with just a thermal, a fleece (polartec 200) and a Grot-Tex & been toasty warm. I've been far far colder in Scotland at -2 after flogging my way up to the CIC & beyond. Its all about keeping dry & usually from the inside rather than the outside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...