UKC

I need a head torch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Vikki Bassek 05 Nov 2009
After a few too many decents in the dark - I'm adding a decent head torch to this years Christmas list!

Does anyone have a good recommendations? I dont know where to start there are so many out there!

Thanks very much!
Sharket 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

I've always sworn by my Petzl Tikka Plus
 galpinos 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

I've got a BD Spot. Very good. Only down-sdie is it bounces a little when running.

(Might be better stuff on the market now, bought it 2 years ago)
 Dan_S 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

Alpkit gamma is very good for about £15
seaofdreams 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

What are you going to do with it?

cook in a tent and stumble off some pokey grit crag or climb mountains in winter and search for your bag that you "left under that pointy boulder"?

I have had three Myo XP's now and will buy a fourth when I kill/drop/misplace this one.
 CurlyStevo 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Dan_S:
alpkit gamma sold out
OP Vikki Bassek 05 Nov 2009
In reply to seaofdreams:
Just general use really, coming down off the lovely Yorkshire crags when the sun has already vanished and just to have in my pack for when needed and emergencys.

Nothing extreme so dont need anything too hardcore!

Shame the £15 one sold out! Will have a look at the others.

Thanks for comments so far! (",)
 CurlyStevo 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:
I'd get the petzl tikka XP plenty bright enough for walking and climbing (you really don't need a myo for this) and smaller, lighter and cheaper also.
seaofdreams 05 Nov 2009
In reply to CurlyStevo:

What he Said
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Looks like the tikka is winning so far!
 EddInaBox 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

The Alpkit website says they are out of stock but 'The next delivery should be early December' so you might be able to have one in your stocking on the 25th.
 CurlyStevo 05 Nov 2009
In reply to seaofdreams:
the new one is something like 33% brighter also!
In reply to Little Brew:

Ha ha!!! No I shall be laughed at!!!!

Could be funny tho! (",)
seaofdreams 05 Nov 2009
In reply to CurlyStevo:

they Myo has saved my butt a few times and that goes a long way with me when it comes round to buying a new one.

Although it (well me really) did cause one of my most dumb epics ever, thats a story for another day
In reply to EddInaBox:

Found it for £29.99 on google shopping from 'planet fear'
In reply to seaofdreams:

Its my thread and I say tell the story!!! (",)
 CurlyStevo 05 Nov 2009
In reply to seaofdreams:
personally I prefer the tikka XP at 60 lumens output for the new model it's brighter than the old Myo XP. The battery life is fine for a weekend of intensive use without needing to change them and it's light small and compact. With eneloop batteries i also find it performs very well in the cold.
 Little Brew 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki: there is a range of Lego themed lights on there at the moment, i want the keyring one!

the Tikka plus is however a top head torch and i have had mine for 4 years now and bought the bloke his for christmas last year, he loves it to bits!
 EZ 05 Nov 2009
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Agree with the Tikka XP. I have one and it's just bonza for getting off local crags after the "lets just do one more route" turned into I neeed to count my rack up in the dark.
In reply to EZ:

Thats exactly the situation I need it for! (",)
 gethin_allen 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:
I've got a black diamond icon and i really like it.
 Bigedthehead 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Sharket: Agreed, reasonably priced and decent
 Stuzz 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

I really like my Black Diamond Spot. It seems brighter (more focused anyway) than my old Petzl Zipka, hardly any heavier, solid build and design, simple. More power options too, (one high power LED and Three flood light ones) and the battery life seems to be much the same. I just generaly prefer it, although petzl have just redesigned the Zipka and Tikka and supprise supprise, they look rather similar to my Spot now :P
seaofdreams 05 Nov 2009
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I cant compare to the tikka XP because i don't own one but I get about 4 weekends in winter out of my Myo on bog standard Duracell's.

_

Story.

Climbing a route in Cali and we had fixed the first four pitches with three lines 2x 50 m 10 mm and one 8 mm section to reach the floor and pizza/beer/ego massage.

My partner headed down and left me with the bag to finish sorting out stuff. It was getting dark so I grabbed my Myo off the back of my harness and in the process tore the cable out of the lamp rendering the unit usless - gotta love sky hooks. We hadn't hauled our spare gear (only water and hardware) so there was no spare lamp.

At this time of year it gets dark (really dark) fast! I could see to attached myself onto the first of the lines with my gr gri and using what little of the natural light was left sorted my harness so knew where everything I was going to need was - away I went.

50m later I reached the first knot and began passing it, thankfully I could still see - just - and it just took a wee bit longer than normal. I was helped by the two bolt belay which reassured me that everything was working before I disconnected from it.

an further 50m later I reached the next knot. a triple fisherman's 8 mm on 10 mm and by now it was very very dark. I knew that I was about 30 m from the ground but I couldn't see it.

I very carefully backed myself up on the 10 mm line above me with both my ascenders and moved the Gri Gri onto a 8mm line!!!! I then had to get my weight onto it but because it was dark I had over reached with the ascenders and the gri gri wanst holding on the 8mm tag line. A lot of swearing and down jumaring and wrapping things round legs and prussic loops later (about 30 min) I was on the ground more than a little scared. Colin the appeared out of the trees wondering where I was.

it dosn't take an hour to rappel ~ 140 m of fixed line unless its dark and you are very scared that you have screwed up toy system. So much for check then check again - more like feel around like a plonker until you are reasonably sure that its rigged correctly.
In reply to seaofdreams:

That sounds scary!!! Good job you could trust the system!
 Alan100 05 Nov 2009
most of my headtorches either mysteriously vanish (i.e. get drunken borrowed and lost) or get broken by being squashed (usually in the top of my crag bag). So altho the petzl ones are a bit brighter, i'd go for alpkit as i can get two for the same price!
In reply to Alan100:

That is a good point actually . . . . . !
Jon Hemlock 05 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

I recently bought one of these.

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN57698

They're great, tested recently in the darkness of Skelgyhll Woods on a cloudy night. Very bright and good beam, which is sometimes a rarity on head torches. Also a map-reading dimmer setting which is very good for close work, and when you happen to turn to face someone.

Considering we used to make do with 20-25 lumens, this is now 50 for £30 which is more than you need. 83 grams too - with batteries.
noxious 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

I'm a bit of a flashlight nerd
http://www.zebralight.com/
I want one of these (H30) but all are good.

Not cheap but, hey, they are cool and bulletproof
In reply to Vikki: Ask yer Dad! He has a Petzl Myo XP. I hope youre all alright I havent seen none of you for ages x
 NorthernRock 07 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:

I got a dirt cheap Energizer thingy. Perfect for leaving in your sack, when you have to count your gear at the bottom of the crag. Alright for dark trips back to the car, and even has a red light function.
Not sure I would trust it for a Scottish winter epic though.
 Mark Stevenson 07 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki: Just a word of warning, Petzl and the other manufacturers continually upgrade their torches without changing the model names. The latest Myo XP and Tikka etc. might look similar to ones several years old but their performance is massively better.

If you are buying and it looks a really good deal (e.g. ebay) make sure you're not being sold old stock.

OP Vikki Bassek 11 Nov 2009
In reply to Fawksey:

Hey! Well if Dad has one it must be alright!

Got your old harness and belay at Dads too if you want em back. Bought Paul some new ones.

Hope you're ok! x
OP Vikki Bassek 11 Nov 2009
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Thanks for that info Mark, will make sure its a new one!
 teflonpete 11 Nov 2009
In reply to Vikki:
I've got a 1 year old Tikka, very pleased with it. It's the most basic model but fine for everything up to dark approaches for winter climbing and cragging in the dark.
In reply to Vikki:I was very happy with the Myo xp until it just stopped working!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...