UKC

rucksac for winter mountaineering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hfac 16 Nov 2009
I'm going to be doing a winter skills course during january and am looking at the gear list...
I've got a BerghausC7 65+10 and a mammut ice pack 35L, but when it's winter and I'm in scotland, I suspect that a 35L pack wont be big enough, but the berghaus one seems to get into the way of a harness?!
Has anyone tried using one of them with a harness, or any recommendations?
I'm quite liking a grivel 55L one......
 Danzig 16 Nov 2009
In reply to chaude: I use a Mammut Ice 45, removable hip belt & does me for the day.
 mattrm 16 Nov 2009
In reply to chaude:

Your 35l one will do you fine I'm quite sure. The berghaus one is miles too big.

However good choices are:

POD Black Ice - 45l
OMM The Villan - 45l
Exped Mtn Pro - 40l
Crux AK47

Osprey do some good sacks as well
5cifi - BAD SELLER 16 Nov 2009
In reply to mattrm: Yo left out the BD Sphynx 42 from your list !

In reply to 5cifi: Ive read somewhere the BD packs are large for their stated capacity, is that right? They look good packs. (hope that makes sense).
In reply to Dave Morrison: I do find my 42l Sphynx a little bigger than 42. Buts thats all good. High quality materials are used throughout, and the hip belt is detachable if you're using a harness, although it has never gotten in the way of mind.
OP hfac 16 Nov 2009
In reply to mattrm: Thanks for that! How about grivel ones? I quite like their designs, but they don't seem to be in many shops =S
In reply to chaude: Thats also the problem with the BD packs, they don't tend to be in many shops. But if you can find on, well worth a try on.

Where are you based ?
 mr mills 16 Nov 2009
In reply to chaude:

I use the Crux 35ltr for the Alps & 45ltr for the UK
In reply to 5cifi: Could you get by with the 32l do you think?
In reply to Dave Morrison: You could, but sometimes the extra 10 is better. I also have a 32l spnyhx and tend to use the 42 for the UK
In reply to 5cifi: Sorry to ask so many questions of you but does it have a back panel that restricts head movement while wearing a helmet like the Deuter Guide etc? I would have to order it online and send it back at my expense if it didn't fit.
In reply to Dave Morrison: I've never had a problem with it whilst using my lid.

Not knowing much about the Deuter Guide, but the back panel on the Sphynx doesn't/hasn't affect my head movement.

Where are you based ? Welcome to come and try on mine if you're close to me
 jamestheyip 16 Nov 2009
In reply to Dave Morrison:

I use the (old model) BD Speed 33 for winter climbing and it's big enough to keep everything inside. More like a 38L on other brands.

I also have a 10 years old BD Ice 44 which is like a 70L when extended! Fit all I needed for a 10 days winter camping trip.

I like both bags a lot. Good practical design and quality. They are not just big for the size all the draw cords and straps are excessively long too. Easy to cut though.
 Stuzz 16 Nov 2009
In reply to chaude:

I've just bought a POD Black Ice and am really impressed by it! Simple, light, tough, build quality seems excellent and it seems to carry loads remarkably well considering the somewhat minimal design (i.e. not much padding anywhere)

The only slight criticism i have of it is that its pretty darn big! it does seem to get round this by being very 'modular' i.e. bits come off when you want to strip it down. I've used it for a few winter hill days so far and not once taken the lid with me! i dont see the point when all the kit i need easily fits anyway! it compresses really well too so when its not full it still doesn't flap around or get in the way.

Just another one to consider.
In reply to 5cifi: Thats very kind of you, but I am up in sunny Scotland. I don't think I will be down your locale till early next year but you never know. Cheers.
ice.solo 16 Nov 2009
In reply to chaude:

BD packs are really good. obviously designed knowingly.

i used a mammut ice 35 for 2 seasons and although heavy found it uk. lids a bit floppy. i clipped the belt behind it when i had a harness on. the buckles on the ice tool holders are too small with some gloves on and a pain in the arse, but other wise its ok.

nowdays for guiding and courses im finding the millet exped 65 is great. yep its huge, but cinches down dramatically and i take off the lid, i also ditch the frame.
what attracts me to it is the full-length entry zip. easier than anything else to access stuff fast, especially when hanging at belays.
then you jam the whole lot in and just cinch it down.
still only weighs 1.5kgs.
In reply to Dave Morrison: I'm in Manchester 4 days of the week, the rest in Lakes. Most of my stuff is down in Manchester, so if your down this neck of the woods, feel free to mail me and I'll let you try on a few
 SFM 17 Nov 2009
In reply to chaude:

You might get away with the 35L pack. I've been using a Mammut Granit 40l the past year and it's been plenty big enough. It's quite simple and light(~1kg) but still comfortable under load.

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/251001250_v_0001_30/Granit.html
 CurlyStevo 17 Nov 2009
In reply to Dave Morrison:
generally a 32l pack overloaded (stuff strapped on to the outside), is not as comfortable or convinient as a 45-50l pack properly packed (the straps are ususally less padded and have less adjusment, the buckles will tend to slip etc). It's a good idea to get a pack the rope can fit inside as it protects it during transit. The extra weight of a 45-50l pack over a 35 is generally fairly small (about 200-300grams if you compare like with like)

I reckon the ideal pack size is 35 litres for summer mountaineering single day trips and 50 litres for winter single day trips or summer multiday day camping trips (if you intend to get all you stuff inside the rucksack)
 nickcj 17 Nov 2009
In reply to chaude:
The good thing about courses is you get to compare kit with the other people on it and quiz the intructors about their favourite gear and they should have a good idea about what works well. I would suggest taking your two current sacks along to try out and see what others are using. You can then make an informed choice about what works for you.

BTW I use an OMM Jirishanca 35L most of the time and a POD thin ice 45+10 for when I need a bit more. My theory is however big your sack you'll always fill it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...