UKC

Safest knot for tying my Tilley hat on with

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 20 Nov 2009
In this season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, its get a bit blowy and my hat keeps blowing off .. what the best knot to use to tie it on with .. I've tried a bowline with a couple of stoppers but it nearly broke my neck in a 60 knot gust.
 timjones 20 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR:
> In this season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, its get a bit blowy and my hat keeps blowing off .. what the best knot to use to tie it on with .. I've tried a bowline with a couple of stoppers but it nearly broke my neck in a 60 knot gust.

Gaffer tape

beardy mike 20 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR: Surely it's perfectly obvious that if your neck almost got snapped, that you want something that releases when the forces get too great. Hence an overhand bend is what I would suggest as these have low failure loads according to several threads.
 thin bob 20 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR: the back & front cords are supposed to keep it safe....but I put a lanyard on it clipped or tied through a ziptag .
Or you could gaffa a brick to it ..
 Nigel Modern 20 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR: Velcro?...I think some medium cyanoacrylate glue should do for attaching the tape to your head.
 Morgan Woods 20 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR:

you might want to think about a prussik back up too.
 thin bob 20 Nov 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods: actually, would a prussik work? If in thin cord, it might be activated by the wind blowing it off..hmmm
 sutty 20 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR:

A simple tip for you, fasten the cord to the epaulets on your jacket so it does not pull on your neck.
 escalator 20 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR:

I think you need a bowline without a stopper knot, apparently it is a really good knot, but comes undone fairly easily.
Hillwalker 24 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR: I would use a clove hitch around both ears, that allows for independent adjustment.
greeny 24 Nov 2009
Yeah I tie my tilly hat on with a re-threaded figure of 8 backed up with both a prussik loop and a Petzl Shunt.
 jon 24 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR:

Overhand is fine. You need a knot that you can undo easily before the elephant eats the hat. Only genuine Tilly owners will understand this...
 Jamie B 24 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR:

Wear a hat that doesnt try to strangle you?
 jimtitt 24 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR:
A ball nut in each ear seems to work well.
greeny 24 Nov 2009
I wouldnt have thought a Tilley would be very suitable for wearing in windy winter weather anyway, surely they are best as sun protection in the summer? Wouldnt a beany or a fleecy hat be better for winter?
moonraker 24 Nov 2009
In reply to JimR: The Tilley Hat is equally at home on the ocean, in the desert, in the Himalayas, in the garden, as well as on the golf course, by a trout stream or whilst strolling through London in the rain. Tilley Hats are issued to Canadian troops when they go to war or on peace-keeping missions. Your Hat is nearly indestructible, although your family dog could prove otherwise. The rain and mildew-resistant materials are the best of their type. The grommets are solid British brass. The Hat is made by hand with the help, of course, of the small, powerful sewing machines needed to sew the tough material. Don’t worry about the strong threads pulling loose; they’re lockstitched, as are all the stitches in everything we make. Which is the Front? The knotted part of the wind cord goes to the back of your head, as do the seams of the anti-sweat band and the brim. Also, if you can read the “THE TILLEY HAT” label upright, you are about to put it on correctly. How Should It Fit? The Tilley Hat fits more comfortably than other hats. It’s designed to be worn low on your head and slightly loose. It should be held on by gravity, not by painful pressure on your forehead! For the proper fit, you should be able to easily insert two fingers, flat, between the middle of your forehead and the front of the Hat. The Hat should be loose enough that you can rotate it to the left and right, and lift it up and down, without friction on your forehead. When it’s windy, use the cord!
We Perspire – Or Expire Every inch of our skin is constantly damp; we’d overheat and die without the temperature-reducing effect of the evaporation of sweat. Compared to the rest of the body, our head expels a great deal of heat; sometimes it gets quite wet because of the massive evaporation needed to cool the wonder that rests within. The ventilation grommets and the mesh allow much of the heat and the moisture-laden air to escape. The Hydrofil® anti-sweat band is soft, comfortable and helps to wick the remaining perspiration away from your forehead. How the Wind Cord Keeps the Hat On The wind cord is like one long shoelace, with the ends joined together in the simplest of knots. When it’s windy, place the knotted part othe wind cord behind your head and the other loop under youchin. Notice that the knots slide easily back and forth so that you can adjust the length of the wind cord. When only slightly breezy, use just the back cord, as do the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or statetroopers with their hats. (It took me weeks to think of this simple way of keeping the Hat on in the wind.)
f r
How to Adjust the Wind Cord Tighten the chin strap by adjusting the knots on the back cord. Slide the two knots away from each other to shorten it, until it’s as snug as you like. When you don’t need the wind cord, take the Hat off, slide the knots a little closer together, and drop them in the crown. Some people store the chin part of the wind cord in the pocket in the crown; I don’t.

Loads more at:- http://image.magellans.com/mitcus/Images/pdf/mh767_manual.pdf

Yrmenlaf 24 Nov 2009
In reply to greeny:
> Wouldnt a beany or a fleecy hat be better for winter?

The OP is not a boulderer, surely!

Y.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...