UKC

MSR whisperlite - am I going to die

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
si lindsell 25 Nov 2009
Hi,

Ive just bought a msr whisperlite to burin petrol to use on bivis as well as in my campervan to replace one of the Meths burners that takes about a day to make a cup of tea.

In the instructions it gives all sorts of warnings about danger of death by carbon monoxode poisoning and burns by using it not outside. Would this be an issue in my van if i had it in the old stove housing with the window open?

Cheers, si
moonraker 25 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell: ...you are winding us up....right!!!!!
 TobyA 25 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell: Have you lit it yet? They flare easily and impressively until you get the knack. Wouldn't want to light mine inside anything for that reason, and I've been using one for nearly 20 years!
 Green Porridge 25 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell:

Ok, two things. Firstly, if you dont know your stove really well, don't try it. It'll make a big flame, you'll kak yourself and try and throw it out of a window. Secondly - I dont think I'd ever use my petrol stove in a room without all the windows open, and only then if it were absolutely necessary. Not from a fire point of view - I've got pretty good control of flare and such (primus omnifuel), but from the point of view of fumes. I demonstrated it to a mate once, on my living room table and couldn't go back in the room for about an hour (it was only running 5 mins or so) - the fumes from burning unleaded are just vile. I dont think using one in a campervan is a good idea at all - maybe get gas?

Tim
 Damo 25 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell:

Assuming this is not a troll, there is no good reason to burn petrol in any stove. Petrol in MSRs is for emergencies only - stuck in remotest Wakistan etc. It's volatile, smelly and dirty - not good for you or your stove.

White gas is best, kerosene a distant second, petrol well back in the field with diesel bringing up the rear.

Or just go down the camping store and buy a cheap propane stove for your van and be done with it.

D
si lindsell 25 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell:

Hmm, fair doos. Havnt actually tried it yet as I dont have a fuel bottle. point made!
 Brendan H 25 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell: If you have a load of spare cash laying about get a Primus Omnifuel, burns just about anything so you could use gas inside the van and still use just about anything else if you get stuck for fuel.

where are you going to take it?
 mattbell 25 Nov 2009
In reply to Damo: where is the cheapest place to get white gas in the uk?
 Billy the fish 25 Nov 2009
In reply to mattbell:
> (In reply to Damo) where is the cheapest place to get white gas in the uk?

A chain saw shop. I’ve seen many recommendations for “Aspen T” fuel that is used for chainsaws and small petrol mowers. Make sure you get the four stroke, not the two stroke version with oil in.
 mattbell 25 Nov 2009
In reply to Billy the fish: is it pretty volatile - easy to light with a flint?
 Kenny Larsen 25 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell:

Alternatively, although more expensive, Coleman fuel from any outdoor shop.

Yes, you can light it with flint, getting in close enough is slightly awkward, but possible.
 LastBoyScout 25 Nov 2009
In reply to TobyA:
> Have you lit it yet? They flare easily and impressively until you get the knack. Wouldn't want to light mine inside anything for that reason, and I've been using one for nearly 20 years!

If you buy one from ebay with dodgy seals and decide to try it out in the kitchen, you can end up with the fire brigade, some pissed off house mates and a cover-up job to hide the evidence from the landlord.

At least, that's what happened to a mate of mine!
 LastBoyScout 25 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell:

The problem is that fuel and the temperature/efficiency of the stove.

Running it on ordinary unleaded from a petrol pump, you have the issue of all the additives in the petrol. Your stove will not be burning at anything like the temperature/pressure of an engine and so will not burn off all the additives, which is a large chunk of the fumes that you get.

Running it on something like coleman fuel is a better, but more expensive, idea, but still not ideal. Coleman don't buy the fuel neat from the refineries, due to the quantities involved to make this line of sale attractive to the refineries, so they have to buy it later and take the additives out! I think this still leaves some traces in the fuel.

I think you would be much better looking at using gas of some sort - most friends of mine with camper vans use the larger bottles you get for use with the family size Camping Gaz stoves or caravans.
mountainsheep 26 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell: I've used one a few times and still can't get the flare right (so I get a mate to do it) so I probably wouldn't want to light in near anything flamable. With school last year we did a snow hole in Scotland and the school gave us these to use but with bog standard petrol, not only did we almost suffocate from the fumes but the roof also turned black which is a bit worrying.
 climber_medic 26 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell:

I used one everyday for a month whilst out on an exped and agree with most peoples comments reference flare. Also the flame adjuster is quite basic so you have to watch you dont burn your food. I actually use an old coleman featherlite 442 which i have had for 15 years and has sat in the cupboard due to the seal and a few other bits needing repairs. I now wouldnt go anywhere without it since i got it sorted and my only issue with it is that its a bit heavy!!!

As for the MSR stove use coleman or similar fuel when you can as it leaves less carbon build up etc!!
 Damo 26 Nov 2009
In reply to mountainsheep:
> the school gave us these to use but with bog standard petrol,

Your school is run by idiots. Dangerous idiots.

There really is no question here. If you are using an MSR, use white gas / Coleman fuel.

Everything else is far inferior, and possibly dangerous. Price does not come into it.

D
 Kenny Larsen 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Damo:

Inferior yes, dangerous, not really, if used sensibly (i.e. not in a snow hole or other enclosed space) and not lighting it whilst leaning over it!
 JJL 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Damo:

> There really is no question here. If you are using an MSR, use white gas / Coleman fuel.
>
> Everything else is far inferior, and possibly dangerous. Price does not come into it.

Have to disagree.

I use an XPS (not a whisperlite but still MSR) and find petrol is easily the best - easy to get hold of, efficient. In a good Sigg (leave the pump in - it doesn't leak) there's no taint or other problem.

Don't tend to use it indoors so can't comment on the CO, but to suggest petrol in MSRs is dangerous is nonsense.

You can avoid the flare by only opening the valve a tiny bit when first lighting, and closing it again as soon as fuel appears on the nipple; ligting; then opening again slowly once the origianl small dose has almost burned out.

I've lit it inside a tent many times with no issue.

The worst problem was having to use diesel when I couldn't get petrol - a bugger to light.

almost sane 26 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3407497/Trail/searchtext%3... work great for the likes of a van or bothy - stable, and runs off cheap gas bottles. And it is cheap. I have one.

For bivis where I am carrying a long way, I would use a very light stove with a gas cylinder.
 TobyA 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Damo:

> There really is no question here. If you are using an MSR, use white gas / Coleman fuel.

Should be noted, there are (or at least always were) two Whisperlites, the original (only could be run on white gas) and the Whisperlite International that came with a kersone jet as well for parafin or aviation fuel. I ran my Whis. International on unleaded plenty, in Australia it was for a couple of months at least on the nights that I was camping. I've also used whatever Indian petrol is in it for a number of weeks as well. Messy, needs more cleaning and not as fast, but I wouldn't say dangerous.
 Morgan Woods 26 Nov 2009
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to Damo)
>
> [...]
>
> Have to disagree.
>
> I use an XPS (not a whisperlite but still MSR) and find petrol is easily the best

do you mean XGK? if so it is better able to cope with different fuels....i've tried petrol in a whisperlite but white spirit is much cleaner and better all round.
mountainsheep 26 Nov 2009
In reply to si lindsell: For most stuff I use either a F1 lite (mainly because it's so light and compact)and the smallest gas cartridge I can find this is of I'm going light weight and keeping kit to the minimum or I use my reactor stove if I'm less concerned about weight and pack size.
 Damo 26 Nov 2009
In reply to JJL:
> In a good Sigg (leave the pump in - it doesn't leak) there's no taint or other problem.
>
> to suggest petrol in MSRs is dangerous is nonsense.

In the context of this thread, not at all.

1. Schoolkids lighting petrol in a snowcave? Dangerous
2. A person having to ask about lighting petrol inside his van? Dangerous
3. Sigg bottles are not meant as fuel bottles. MSR bottles are one-piece construction to hold the pressure generated. Sigg bottles have a separate insert for the thread - these can separate & leak. Sigg used to make fuel bottles, but stopped. I know people used them. I used them. Most Sigg bottles in use are water bottles and not meant to be pressurised as fuel bottles (unless you're using the bottle that comes with a Sigg stove, obviously).

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...