UKC

walking pole gone funny

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerkate 28 Feb 2003
Help!

I extended my poles to full extension to let em dry properly. Maybe I overdid it or something. The bottom section of one pole has gone wrong. It came completely unscrewed, with red bit nowhere in sight. Put it back in, screwed it into (invisible) red bit, pulled it down, red bit now showing, but red bit won't move, so if I turn it one way it just unscrews from red bit, other way won't turn.

What should I do?
 TobyA 28 Feb 2003
In reply to gingerkate: my guess is you've probably cross-threaded it when putting back in. Try to get the red bit out and put it back on carefully. Worst come to the worst if its a Leki or such, you can by a replacement red bit if you've mangled the thread.
OP gingerkate 28 Feb 2003
In reply to TobyA:
I don't think I had. Now taken it apart and back together and it's sort of working but incredibly stiff. I can't see what's wrong with it
 Carolyn 28 Feb 2003
In reply to gingerkate:

Dunno....... the workings of those poles are beyond me. Mine never seem right!
In reply to Carolyn:
I'd never taken one apart before, so hadn't figured out how they work. But it seems quite simple......... but then why can't I fix it?
 Carolyn 28 Feb 2003
In reply to gingerkate:

Easy...... because they're just like bikes. Easy to take apart, easy to see how they're supposed to fit back together, but a real nightmare to get working again properly!

What you need is one of those engineering gear freak types, who's far more interested in playing with gear than using it. They'll have it back together in a tick, and enjoy it. Very useful to befriend a few of these to keep your mountainbike in tip-top condition, too.

PS: Top tip - they might be mechanical whizzs, but haven't generally mastered cookery. Thus easy to bribe with a decent dinner!!!
In reply to Carolyn:
It *seems* to be working again now. I daren't fiddle too much in case it goes weird again.

Thanks both of you
stonemaster 28 Feb 2003
In reply to gingerkate: Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles. The last pair that did that was a pair of Black Diamonds which my friend flung in the bin. Hope yours gets better soon...
chris tan 28 Feb 2003
In reply to gingerkate:

First & most important step is to remove that blone wig you're wearing

Is the pole stiff sliding up & down or is it stiff when twisting it?
In reply to chris tan:
Stiff when sliding up and down.
Ice 28 Feb 2003
In reply to gingerkate: ooh! Misses, shouldn't that be on your other thread ;-D
chris tan 28 Feb 2003
In reply to gingerkate:

There should be a cone shaped plastic gasket. When u turn the pole this moves down & expands the sleeve like a rawl plug. I suspect u may have pushed that too far down so it's a little tighter than normal.
 Martin W 28 Feb 2003
In reply to gingerkate: If it's still stiff, you could try cleaning it. A surprising amount of grit and gunge gets carried up inside the tubes when you collapse the poles. One mistake I've seen people making is not extending the bottom section as far as the "stop" mark. If it's only half extended, the taper on the bottom section means that a gap is left at the joint for dirt to get in, and it's down near the ground where all the dirt is. If you extend the bottom section all the way to the "stop" mark then the seal is better, and it's higher up away from the filth. Unless you are really short, the overall length of the pole should be adjusted at the middle section only - which is why most poles have helpful index marks on that section.

The handbook which came with my Lekis says, under Maintenance:
"For many years of reliable performance, clean the inside of each shaft section of dust, dirt and oxidation regularly. After use in wet conditions take pole sections apart and let dry. It is recommended that expanders be replaced on a yearly basis for optimum performance. [yeah, right!] Sleeves separating shaft sections only need replacement if worn or lost. Note: If the shaft sections are unscrewed too far, the locking expander dowel will remain and 'float' in the upper shaft section. It is easy to 'catch' and retrieve this expander by gently pushing the lower shaft completely into the upper shaft. Twisting the lower shaft clockwise a couple of turns will allow the screw threads to catch the expander once again."

What the handbook doesn't do is explain how to go about the cleaning. What I do is:
- pull the sections completely apart, including the "red bit" (what Leki call the "split dowel" or "expander")
- thoroughly clean the outside of each sliding section and their expanders with soapy water, and use a bit of paraffin or WD40 on the threads
- cleaning the insides of the sections is trickier; I use a bit of rag tied on the end of a straightened-out wire coat hanger!
- make sure you let everything dry out thoroughly before re-assembling.
I put a very thin film of grease on the expander before I put it back in to the sleeve. I find this makes the action smoother, although I admit it may attract dirt and make cleaning a more frequent necessity.

I think it's unlikely that you can have cross-threaded the expander. The thread (on my Lekis anyway) seems to me to be too coarse to get crossed-up if the expander is held inside the upper section. Also, if the expander isn't expanded, I don't think it will grip the inside of the upper section firmly enough to allow you cross-thread it. However, as Toby says, if you have damanged the expander you should be able to get hold of a replacement fairly easily.

My Lekis worked fine for two or three years in spring/summer/autumn conditions, but they started to play up after a few winter outings - getting very difficult to unscrew, refusing to collapse/extend at awkward times etc. I now have a pair of Black Diamonds with the flicklock mechanism. So far they seem OK, although they do take a bit of fine tuning of the clamp screws to get them so that they hold the sections securely enough to take being leaned on, without being so stiff that they can't be "flicked" when you need to adjust the pole length. (If you plan to do this fine tuning on the hill you'll need to take the right screwdriver with you - or perhaps a Leatherman - because a Swiss Army Knife won't do the job!) Now that I've been through the tuning process, mine do so far seem to be behaving better than my Lekis did.
In reply to chris tan:
Hang on. There's the silver metal screwy bit. And there's the red plastic bit that the screwy bit screws into. Are you saying there's another bit somewhere?
In reply to Martin W:
Thankyou for all that. It looks clean, but I didn't know that about keeping the lower bit at max. Cheers.
 FunkyNick 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Carolyn: Hey.. I'll have you know that some of us engineering gear freak types can cook very well thank you!!!

But then again, I do much prefer using the gear than playing with it, although that is almost as much fun.. so maybe I don't count on this...
 Wingnut 28 Feb 2003

Oooh, another gear-freaky thing to do over the weekend - de-crud my Lekis! :
 LizS 28 Feb 2003
In reply:
Another thing I've noticed most people doing is to carry their poles pointy end up on the back of their pack.

Now, apart from the fact that this is a good way to poke someone in the face when you turn, bend or stoop (like you can do with ice axes pointy end up only those are even better!), carrying poles this way up allows the rain to get into them - which then corrodes the insides - which then stiffens the mechanism - which then makes for a lot of effing and blinding and knacked poles (caused by jumping up and down on them) etc etc.

So be kind to your poles and carry them pointy end down!

Ta

Liz
 Simon Caldwell 28 Feb 2003
In reply to LizS:
> So be kind to your poles and carry them pointy end down!

Not so kind to your rucksack though, the side pockets on mine have holes where the points of the poles have worn through
 LizS 28 Feb 2003
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Ah - good point (point! ha ha! - oh never mind....).

Don't usually put mine in the side pockets (unless I've got the little protectors on the end which get lost ever so easy) but clip the poles together and use the adjustable ice axe loops on the back, wrapping the lower loop around the baskets - works fairly well. Either that or sometimes use just the side compression straps.

But I do know what you mean as rucksacks don't heal very well, tho I'm sure you can take solace in having happy poles?

Liz
 Simon Caldwell 28 Feb 2003
In reply to LizS:
> I'm sure you can take solace in having happy poles?

And at least my friends still have their eyesight
In reply to Carolyn:

> What you need is one of those engineering gear freak types

Well, I was twitching to get my hands on it at the weekend, but I didn't want get all condescending "fixing gear - that's a man's job, luv" on her...

And I have mastered cookery. Last night I had a three course meal. Multi-flavoured Wotsits, followed by a lump of country pie, rounded off with Wheat Crunchies, washed down with a cheeky Shiraz. Mmm mmmm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...