UKC

Alpamayo, Peru

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jude78 08 Dec 2009
I am hoping to climb Alpamayo next year and have been looking at various firms which offer trips out there. I have noticed that there are some local operators who can provide the expedition at a much cheaper cost. I appreciate that in South American countries where costs are generally much lower they may be able to do this but I am concerned that I may not receive the same quality of service as I would do from a more expensive UK outfit.

Any advice from anybody who has been on the same expedition and has worked with local operators would be most appreciative.

Cheers
 JJL 08 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78:

We just turned up at Huaraz and asked around - we only really wanted a man and a donkey and a jeep ride though, not a full guided-service. I'd really advocate booking locally. Make sure you check that whoever they supply has their own kit though (and both legs).

Many "UK" outfits simply contract with a local supplier anyway so, unless you feel the need to give a UK person a paid-for holiday, cut out the middle man.
 sammoore 08 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78:

Easter this year we used a company called Huascaran. I found the owner Paulino to be very welcoming, professional, flexible and he couldn't do enough to help us.

http://www.huascaran-peru.com/

We, like you had no idea what level of service we would get but he far exceeded anything I have had elsewhere in the world. New equipment, awesome food.

Look at this way, I rarely log in and post on UKC but they impressed me enough that I bothered to so I could recommend them

And the place to stay in Huaraz is the Alberge Churup.

http://www.churup.com/

Super friendly, super flexible, comfortable rooms and an amazing lounge/terrace with guidebooks, maps etc.

If you want more info, drop me a line sammoore@bigfoot.com
 ianto 08 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78:
went to try alpamayo in june 2008. hired a donkey and driver at the roadhead and that was it. big mistake. it was a false economy. if we'd had a porter and someone to look after our gear at base camp we'd have saved money since i wouldn't have had stuff nicked and we may even have got to the top since we wouldn't have been knackered after carrying everything to col camp.

my advice - book some locals in huaraz. go to the guide's office, they are surprisingly reliable. we booked a donkey and driver for huayhuash with them and had no idea whether what we agreed would work out - language difficulties and lack of any formality led us to doubt whether we would be left with nothing when we got off the bus but it worked perfectly!

enjoy!
jude78 08 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78:
Manhy thanks to everyone for your advice. Much appreciated.
 kp1 08 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78:
I spent a few months in Huaraz and checked out most of the agencies in town. I tried a few of the local guides(all fully certified UAIGM) and always ended up encountering problems with them. I would highly recommend Skyline Adventures as they provide an excellent service and are very professional to deal with. I used them for a trip to Alpamayo last year.If you need any info you can email me.
 MikeLell 09 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78: Another recommendation for Skyline Adventures, Ted and Jen have been very helpful to me on two previous trips to the Blanca.
bmwill 11 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78:

And again...Skyline are only reliable bet in my opinion.
 johnbiggar 12 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78:

We run full service expeditions through our website www.andes.org.uk but can also set you up with a reliable local guide, you'd pay them directly, just pay us a 12% comission for setting the whole thing up.
We can include only the services you want to pay for in this - transport, hotel, donkeys , porters, guide - whatever you wnat jsut let us know. Not as cheap as doing it entirely yourself, but it is all set-up in advance with a reliable local operator.
 robin popham 13 Dec 2009
In reply to jude78: Also thinking of going - are you interested in some company? mail me robin@mad-design.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...