UKC

Best Head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pipcollier 10 Dec 2009
What head torch has the longest beam!

Best for night navigation.
 lithos 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:

I hava BD Icon which is good but there are newer ones out there
check the petzl website
 CarolineMc 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier: The Petzl Ultra. C-:
 Jim Fraser 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:

The new Mammuts are awesome. We saw them at a recent seminar where there was a Mammut stand. Practical, durable-looking, powerful and economical (all LED). Very impressive. Not cheap, but they seem to be at the head of the pack at the moment.
oui oui 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:
>
> Best for night navigation.

What type of navigation are you talking about?

I have two headtorches, both for navigating at night:

Petzl Ultra - for Night Orienteering. Very powerful but also very heavy and expensive when compared to a 'normal' headtorch.

Petzl Myo - for hill use. Light and compact, a lot of useable light. The difuser filter is really good as it lights up the terrain around you rather than a focused spot, very useful for relating terrain to the map.

I had a BD Icon but lost it, I'd say it probably had a longer beam than the Myo, but the difuser on the Myo makes it a much more useable headtorch.

Blue Straggler 10 Dec 2009
In reply to Jim Fraser:
> they seem to be at the head of the pack at the moment.

I see what you did there!

CurlyStevo 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:
the new tikka XP is way bright enough very sturdy (as it has no external cables) and lighter and more compact than a Myo XP
Alan Mc 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:

Unless you want to spend SERIOUS money, this takes some beating :-

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/LED_Lenser_H7_Head_Torch.html

I understand they are quite popular with M.R. teams at the moment.

I tried one out a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed.

Alan
oui oui 10 Dec 2009
In reply to Alan Mc:

That does look like a good piece of kit - 140lumens + a beam you can adjust the width of

A good price too.
 Dan_S 10 Dec 2009
In reply to oui oui:

Have a look at the fenix hp10 too, it's a bit more expensive though.

It uses AA batteries so is heavier, but the beam lasts longer, and has a 200+ lumen boost mode.

You don't get an adjustable beam, and the stick on defuser is rubbish, but just used normally it's been excellent for general running in and mountain biking in the dark (I used it on it's own to get down from the back end of Kinder on a fairly technical descent when my main light ran out of power!)
jackcarr 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:

I'm pretty sure there's a Petzl one for about £250, which I can only assume must be the "best". I've got one that cost about £40 and is great though.
oui oui 10 Dec 2009
In reply to jackcarr:
> (In reply to pipcollier)
>
> I'm pretty sure there's a Petzl one for about £250, which I can only assume must be the "best".

That's the Ultra, although for hill use it's far from ideal - on full power (which is the whole point of having one), the battery will last less than 2hrs

A bit like using an Audi RS4 as a taxi - possible, but not that practical
 George Ormerod 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:

I'm using this one:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1197

Which seemed a very reasonable compromise between price and performance (it was only about £45). Fantastic beam, good battery life (4 AAs in a pack that goes in your pocket or pack), effectively water proof. The only disappointment was that the housing is plastic, not nice solid machined Ali as the review says.
 uncontrollable 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:

I got recently a Petzl Tikka2, which works well for running through the forest at night
 RankAmateur 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier:

Not the lightest torch, but certainly one of the brightest: http://www.scurion.ch/ms/index.php?Scurion-k
In reply to RankAmateur:
Dont forget the sten http://www.excellentstuff.co.uk/StenLight/StenLight-Lamps/c-1-69-70/
Light very bright. I used one last year for ice climbing in the dark and it was great. It can put out a lot of light but also drops to a usable level and is very well made.
 mark catcher 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier: I've just bought a Hope Vision 2 to replace my Petzl Myo XP, and it's light (bum bum) years ahead. Expensive but amazing.
 GarethSL 10 Dec 2009
In reply to pipcollier: surefire - saint / saint minimus
 EddInaBox 10 Dec 2009
In reply to oui oui:

> That does look like a good piece of kit - 140lumens + a beam you can adjust the width of

The H7 seems to have been upgraded recently they are now 160 lumens, although there is probably quite a lot of 140 lumen stock about, there is also a rechargeable version the H7R. I have never used one so I don't know how good they are though.
TooCauldAgain 10 Dec 2009
In reply to RankAmateur:
>
> Not the lightest torch, but certainly one of the brightest: http://www.scurion.ch/ms/index.php?Scurion-k

Lovely peice of engineering too, i know someone with one...
although i've never seen what tehy look like....

mountainrescuer 10 Dec 2009
In reply to EddInaBox: I have the LED Lenser H7R model and I have found it fantastic. Variable power delivery and light arc. A lot of other MR team members also use these headtorches, along with the hand held models.

Very solidly built too.
 psykx 10 Dec 2009
In reply to RankAmateur:
>
> Not the lightest torch, but certainly one of the brightest: http://www.scurion.ch/ms/index.php?Scurion-k

nah they are rubbish really, the battery pack falls apart and the beam is uneven although admittedly it is very bright but it doesn't have a bevel on the lens which means the lens get scratched easily despite have uber expensive supposedly scratch proof perspex.

I'd recommend the sten S7+ (it's what I bought) some people like the new warmbac viper light but nobody had been able to answer my questions about the cree Q5's being over driven on turbo so personally I'd avoid it. when mine exploring or caving a light breaking can be catastrophic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...