UKC

MSR fuel bottles with Primus Omnifuel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScraggyGoat 10 Jan 2010
Couple of quick questions

1) Has anyone used MSR fuel bottles with the primus omnifuel (they 'mate' reassuringly in the shop, but would like to hear first hand experience)?
2) I presume like MSR you can detach the stove and lave the pump in the bottle for transporting?

I have an MSR thats nearly seen the last of its days, and a collection of MSR fuel bottles, and am contemplating buying the omnifuel (rather than another MSR).
 tom84 10 Jan 2010
In reply to ScraggyGoat: they are basically sigg bottles, they are universal. ive never had any problems, be amazed if anyone comes on and says otherwise.

ps omnifuels are a great choice
 L.A. 10 Jan 2010
In reply to thomasfoote: OK get amazed then! MSR or Primus bottles are not basically Sigg bottles. For a start Sigg dont manufacture fuel bottles. Using a Sigg with a pressurised multifuel stove can be dangerous as the thread in a Sigg Bottle is an insert whereas a MSR bottle has the threads drilled in. Inserts can, and have, blown out if the bottle gets overpressurised causing a major fire risk !!
With the old Sigg fuel bottles,the metal was thin enough that you could pump the pressure high enough to bulge out the bottom of the bottle. Stove manufacturers usually specify which bottles to use with their stoves due to the slight difference between US and European threads.
 tom84 10 Jan 2010
In reply to L.A.: cool im really glad you posted this, not that ive ever used my sigg bottle for my stove!
 L.A. 10 Jan 2010
In reply to thomasfoote: No probs but please dont be tempted to use siggs for fuel bottles, they are only manufactured for holding liquids not for being pressurised.
At last Ive amazed someone !
OP ScraggyGoat 10 Jan 2010
In reply to ScraggyGoat:
It was standard to use a sigg fuel bottle with an MSR pre 1990ish, despite the possible risks of overpressurization (we were all assumed to be slightly clever back then to not pump the things up untill they became a 'bomb').

MSR brought out they're own bottles around then and changed the thread very slightly on the bottles and the pumps. As an ancetdote; this nearly brought one of Ranulph Finnes and Mike Strounds polar trips to a halt, as they had fuel in old sigg bottles, but had brought two new MSR's for the trip, by fluke one (and only one) of thier Siggs mated with the the pump.

Anyhow, back to my interest Primus say 'compaible with most multi-fuel stoves' but don't list specifically which ones..........

So has anyone mated a MSR bottle and an omnifuel?
 tom84 10 Jan 2010
In reply to ScraggyGoat: yes, my msr bottle for my whisperlite int got used on an omnifuel this summer past. didnt have any problems
 L.A. 10 Jan 2010
In reply to ScraggyGoat: To get the definitive(ie someone to blame if it all goes wrong)Give the guys at Rosker(the UK agents for Primus) a call

Rosker Ltd. 13 Quay Lane, Gosport, Hampshire PO12 4LJ, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 23 9252 8711 Fax: +44 (0) 23 9252 9108 Email: sales@rosker.co.uk
In reply to L.A.:

Thanks Thomas and L.A. I'm suspecting Primus will only definitively recommend thier 'own' bottles, but I will ask.

Has anyone else successfuly, or unsucessfully done this?
 tom84 10 Jan 2010
In reply to ScraggyGoat: yes, can i just say that using an msr bottle with a primus stove, or a primus bottle with an msr stove can, may and in all certainty will, cause an enormous explosion that will kill you, then injur you and then destroy your property while rendering you unable to work permanently.
In reply to thomasfoote:
Calm down lad, I'm not threatening to toast your nuts on an open fire, just looking for further corroboratio........one of the powers and strengths of the web. We may/ or may not, both learn something.
 tom84 10 Jan 2010
In reply to ScraggyGoat: i was attempting to parody disclaimers. it was a joke.
In reply to thomasfoote:

Sorry, please accept my apologies......one of the weakness of the web.
 csw 10 Jan 2010
In reply to ScraggyGoat:
> (In reply to L.A.)
>
> Thanks Thomas and L.A. I'm suspecting Primus will only definitively recommend thier 'own' bottles, but I will ask.
>
> Has anyone else successfuly, or unsucessfully done this?

yes I use MSR bottles with my Omnifuel - never a problem
 trueuk1 10 Jan 2010
In reply to ScraggyGoat: i've been useing an msr fuel bottle for 2 years with my omnifuel stove and never had a problem
Dr.Strangeglove 10 Jan 2010
In reply to L.A.:
> (In reply to ScraggyGoat) To get the definitive(ie someone to blame if it all goes wrong)Give the guys at Rosker(the UK agents for Primus) a call
>
> Rosker Ltd. 13 Quay Lane, Gosport, Hampshire PO12 4LJ, United Kingdom
> Tel: +44 (0) 23 9252 8711 Fax: +44 (0) 23 9252 9108 Email: sales@rosker.co.uk

I should not expect a swift reply, I e-mailed them a couple of weeks back about a problem with a stove and have not heard anything.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...