UKC

DMM Cirque & Fly hammer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Are there any opinions out there on using a DMM Cirque axe backed up with a Fly hammer to give flexibility. I have climbed Grade 2 & AD- and expect to build on these. What do you reckon?
 GirlieEyes 13 Jan 2010
In reply to Neil Metcalfe101:

Why don't you just use a pair of fly's? I use me fly adze as an alpine axe.
 Nigel Modern 13 Jan 2010
> Are there any opinions out there on using a DMM Cirque axe backed up with a Fly hammer to give flexibility. I have climbed Grade 2 & AD- and expect to build on these. What do you reckon?

I do something similar to you but I'm thinking on many ADs (I see you put AD-) most would expect to use 2 technical tools. The Cirque is so good tho'...and better most of the time - I know where you are coming from.

I recently wrote to DMM suggesting they put teeth on the spike to further improve the Cirque's technical usefulness.
 Only a hill 13 Jan 2010
In reply to Nigel Modern:
Depends on the route, though. I've done a few ADs and have never felt the need for two tools; depends if the route is a rocky ridge or icy face. I admit that on an AD-graded North Face I might be more comfortable with two axes instead of one.

To the OP, I would suggest that if you already have a Cirque, buy a Fly hammer. That way you can comfortably tackle Grade III routes in Scotland or routes harder than AD in the Alps. When you feel the need for something more technical, you can always get a Fly axe to pair with the hammer.
 Nigel Modern 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Nigel Modern)
depends if the route is a rocky ridge or icy face.

That's the issue, yes.

I'm planning to continue to use Cirque plus Stubai until it starts to feel wrong. Not planning to go to D. I think many people go straight for technical axes without seeing the benefit much of the time of a longer shaft.
In reply to GirlieEyes:
Cos apparently the pick on the Fly is less suitable for self arresting as something less aggressive like the Cirque?
So I thought the cirque and fly would work in a similar way that BD Venoms are set-up but cheaper and with T rated shafts?
 GirlieEyes 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Nigel Modern:

I find a longer shaft useful on anything below AD-, I use a camp alpax (60cm). For any north face or similar routes I use two tools- the flys
 chiz 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Neil Metcalfe101: I used to use a cirque adze and a raptor hammer -I had the cirque already though, and got the raptor very cheap. Worked well up to III and does have advantages in some ways/on some terrain. Do you already have the Cirque or are you planning on getting this 'odd' pair from scratch? Do you already have a walking axe or intend to do a lot of routes where a walking axe would be more useful? As alex says you could always upgrade with another fly if and when you feel you need it.
 Nigel Modern 14 Jan 2010
In reply to GirlieEyes:
> (In reply to Nigel Modern)
>
> I find a longer shaft useful on anything below AD-, I use a camp alpax (60cm). For any north face or similar routes I use two tools- the flys

I'm definitely a long (bent) shaft fan...I wonder if DMM will offer to cut teeth in it for me.
Philip Earl 14 Jan 2010

Get a grip man, you're driving me mad!
In reply to Philip Earl:
> (In reply to Neil Metcalfe101)
>
> Get a grip man, you're driving me mad!

Says he who spends all his time trawling every inch of this site. see ya tuesday Phil.
In reply to chiz:

I have no axes but a limited budget and was trying to buy 2 axes to cover a range of lower grade stuff and was good for self arrests. I dont fancy getting in to ice climbing. The Cirque & Fly I thought would be similar to the BD Venoms but cheaper and 'T' rated shafts.

chiz 15 Jan 2010
If you want to go winter walking and climbing easier routes then I would have thought you would be fine with your choice, and if you do find yourself liking ice you can upgrade easily with another Fly. I've done self arrest practice with a fly and it was fine, but when used as a walking axe they are a bit short for me (5'11) and the top of the pick can be uncomfortable when held in your hand for long periods, so having a longer single axe with a tech back up sounds good
Thanks to all for your opinions.
I might start another thread soon just to get up Phil Earls nose.

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...