UKC

beal joker opinions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 browndog33 14 Jan 2010
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 60m Beal Joker, has any one got one/used one and if so whats your opinion? cheers Mark.
 threepeaks 16 Jan 2010
In reply to browndog33: Hi Mark, what do you intend using it for? I have a 50m GoldenDry one that I use in The Alps and Grade III Winter and it's been fine. Handles well, is compact and feels light to carry. Are you intending to use it for sports climbing, if so it might be fine for onsights but I'd want something a little more hardwearing for working routes. Hope that helps, Dave S
 sleavesley 16 Jan 2010
In reply to browndog33: Yeah I have used one advised my friend to buy one as he wanted something that could be used for most purposes, its light enough and has really good handling qualities.
I'll be getting one myself to go with all my thick 10mm and 10.5mm ropes
In reply to browndog33: agree with above i had one and it handles great and is a really nice rope but not very hard wearing as its so thin i had to cut mine up in less than 3 years of use and i'm not talking using it every week either.
 Dane1 18 Jan 2010
In reply to browndog33: Great lwt rope for rock, ice and mixed from my own experience. Works best as a lead rope at your limit and not for everyday cragging because of the lack of durability. Awesome for leading the hard projects though. It would not be my first choice as the "only" rope in the kit.
 gb83 18 Jan 2010
In reply to browndog33:

I love mine but the time has come to lay it to rest. As the post above it's had about 3 years of moderate use, for local single pitch cragging to long multipitching abroad. Also superb still after putting it under the stress of a tyrolean.

The handling, I think is great, the only down side is the durability hence the reason for it being retired. I've not used it for winter mountain use as I use a half ropes normally but as a thin single I rate it pretty highly and suspect it would be fine on more straightforward mountain routes.
OP browndog33 18 Jan 2010
In reply to browndog33: Hi chaps, great replies, many thanks. My main reason for thinking about buying the joker was for its light weight, after using a heavyweight beal topgun for the last two years I just wanted something easier to carry on the approach and climb. After a lot of thought I've decided to go for a cheapish 10.2mm 35m rope for the wall/single pitch, and when the weathers looking a bit better I'll buy the joker for the multi pitch either as a single or with another half. Cheers again. Mark.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...