UKC

OMM Kamleika Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bigdelboy 21 Jan 2010
Any views on this jacket? I know its designed as a lightweight active jacket but ho do you think it fair up to Scottish winter climbing? I like the idea of the stretch built into the fabric.
 bouldery bits 21 Jan 2010
In reply to bigdelboy1980:

I have the old style kamleika pants and now I use them as my standard waterproof / windproof bottoms over varying degrees of other stuff for everything. The fabric is pretty harwearing but I'm not certain it would be the best choice for Scottish winter - I.e it's pehaps too light. I guess it depends on the rest of your systems. If it's just for throwing on over the top of stuff if - god forbid - it precipitates then it's probs a good option. As a main garment maybe not.

bigdelboy 21 Jan 2010
In reply to bouldery bits:
Yeah thats what I was thinking. It would be just to to keep the wet/wind out as my other layers would provide the warmth. My only concern was how hardwearing the fabric was.

JB 22 Jan 2010

My trousers are showing distinct signs of wear and tear from use walking/running use. I think thrutching up an icy chimney would kill them.
 probablylost 22 Jan 2010
In reply to bigdelboy1980: I've never used mine for Scottish winter, but I've got one in the new fabric and it's really very breathable. For mountain marathons etc it's the first waterproof jacket I've owned that I'd set off running in, and that includes event one's I've used in the past. Highly recommended (at least for fell running!)
In reply to bigdelboy1980: I think you need something heavy duty for Scottish Winter climbing. I took a very light emergency waterproof jacket to Scotland last year and it took quite a battering! This Winter I'll take something much tougher and heavier, and leave the superlight jacket for fell running (and possibly Summer Alpinism).
John Noblett 23 Jan 2010
i have used the omm jacket for mountain running, cycling and orienteering, i find it gets sweaty inside when working hard but also wet fabric on the outside which takes a long time to dry and would freeze in cold weather. When wet the fabric also feels cold. I had a light weight gortex cag during a wet OMM race and my partner had the kamleika top, mine had dried by morning but his was cold and wet inside and out. On the plus side it is stronger than it feels as I have never ripped it despite snagging on thorns rocks etc. but overall i wouldnt trust it if in a serious situation.
 probablylost 23 Jan 2010
In reply to John Noblett: New or old style? The new ones are a different (and superior) fabric.
 Wee Davie 23 Jan 2010

I've got an OMM Gelanots jacket. It might well be the Kamleika. I really like it. It's the least clammy waterproof I have owned. The softness and lightness of the fabric is awesome. I wouldn't climb in it as it does feel too light.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...