UKC

Which base layer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iain_cbr 05 Feb 2010
I'm after a cheap long sleeved base layer. I don't do huge expeditions, just a bit of bouldering or maybe a day out on the crag. Nothing below freezing! I just want a wicking base layer which can cover my body and my ape-like arms.

Say under 20 quid?
 withey 05 Feb 2010
In reply to iain_cbr:

Check Aldi and Lidl websites. They often do random bits of outdoors clothing for about a fiver. It's not amazing kit, but works apparently.

Otherwise Decathlon is worth a look.
 TobyA 06 Feb 2010
In reply to iain_cbr:

> I don't do huge expeditions, just a bit of bouldering or maybe a day out on the crag.

I would start looking for something made out of merino wool in a sale. You might need to go to 25 or 30 quid, but I've seen plenty for that price (Cotswold were selling Smartwool ones off at that price and I bought a Decathlon one for 20 which is great).

The main reason is that for what you want any decent baselayer will work just fine, but buy a merino one and if you are sitting in a pub or cafe at the end of the day you won't be thinking "oh god - I stink. How disgusting..." which seems the almost universal experience of wearing synthetic base layers.
 jubolo 06 Feb 2010
In reply to iain_cbr:
Another vote for a decathalon base layer. Think they keep them in the football section.
 flaneur 06 Feb 2010
In reply to iain_cbr:
UniQlo merino jumper worn as a baselayer. Small sizes are £10.
http://www.uniqlo.co.uk/catalogue/men/extra-fine-merino/393952-beige-extra-...
In reply to iain_cbr: Any of the ones on this page dude... http://www.urbanrock.com/products_show.php?ParentId=0&CatId=312&Sea...

You'll pay between £15-25 for a synthetic (Capliline) thermal and between £25-35 for a merino one.

Both do the job. I use synthetics for running as they wick so much better. I use merino for climbing as they feel nicer next to the skin and are a tad warmer.

Patagonia thermals are second to none. I think their merino ones are some of the best around. I've use smartwool and ice breaker thermals too, and whilst these are riddled with holes, my Patagonia one is still in mint nick after a similar amount of abuse.

HTH
 TobyA 06 Feb 2010
In reply to the cassin ridge: I bought a basic Patagonia merino, from the Urban Rock sale come to think of it, and the cuffs are really loose. Not a terrible thing, but the Decathlon one fits better for example.
md@r 06 Feb 2010
In reply to iain_cbr:
Mountain Warehouse - £20 but they've been doing 2 for 1.
 jack1996 06 Feb 2010
In reply to iain_cbr: Helly Hansen - HHdry ive got 3 and i use them everywhere.
In reply to jack1996: someone robbed my beloved smelly hansen from t'works a while ago. gutted, so bought a merino and its not the same.
 The Ivanator 06 Feb 2010
In reply to jack1996:
Nothing beats a smelly Helly, original and still the best. Got sucked in by the Merino hype and invested in a set, but have returned to the old faithful HH blues with the iconic go faster chevrons.
In reply to The Ivanator: i havent seen the original (the ones that go a bit fuzzy) ones for sale- can anyone link to one? maybe im not looking in the right place!
 The Ivanator 06 Feb 2010
In reply to portlandclimber:
Cotswold Outdoor have 40% off original HH Lifa baselayer (black or olive) sets at present, seems like they are not available in blue though ...gutted.
 TobyA 06 Feb 2010
In reply to The Ivanator:

> Cotswold Outdoor have 40% off original HH Lifa baselayer (black or olive) sets at present, seems like they are not available in blue though ...gutted.

I bought my first HH Lifa with white stripes in 1991, and they were by no means a new product then. It's a totally different fabric now, so the ones you buy now are hardly "original". I still use my nearly 20 year old one now regularly whilst biking to work.

TobyA 06 Feb 2010
In reply to portlandclimber:
> someone robbed my beloved smelly hansen from t'works a while ago. gutted, so bought a merino and its not the same.

No, presumably you don't honk so much any more!

The Ivanator 06 Feb 2010
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to The Ivanator)
It's a totally different fabric now, so the ones you buy now are hardly "original"

True for sure, but the stripes are the important thing aren't they
 TobyA 06 Feb 2010
In reply to The Ivanator: But they're diagonal now, not even they are quite right!
In reply to TobyA: haha your a funny man. you also happen to be right. but it was the way it used to absolutely reek endeared it to me. i was in love. now its gone.
 Jones 08 Feb 2010
In reply to iain_cbr:
I recently found Patagonia Capilene 3 long sleeve base layers in TKMAXX for 20 quid.
Bought all I could find in my size and now I'm chuffed with them. Brilliant base layers that don't smell.
 Tall Clare 08 Feb 2010
In reply to TobyA:

washing polypro with napisan can cure the helly-ming.

in reply to the OP: Finisterre merino seems to be a reasonable price (see here: http://www.finisterreuk.com/technicalsurfapparel/womens/super-fine-merino-b... (that's womens but they also do mens)) and Howies also do merino baselayers, which, if you get them in the sale, aren't too expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...