UKC

Straw poll - soft shell vs hard shell scottish winter gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveLeonard 08 Feb 2010
This is probably a recurring them in some respects, so apologies for that in advance, but i'm interested in a breadth of opinions.

There are very sensible arguments made by experienced climbers for softshell systems in winter alpinism/ icefall climbing etc in cold generally dry(ish) climates. The same systems eg patagonia speed ascent (or its predecessors mix master etc) or buffalo also get recommended for scottish winter conditions. My experience in scotland however is that it's frequently close to freezing and wet, making hardshell over base layer a good call.

I wonder what are peoples experiences of the softshell systems for scottish winter? Do you usually carry lightweight shell gear as well or have a hardshell system as an alternative when the forecast says "wet and not so cold"?

Just before the flaming begins, I know what works for one person may not for another, and i'm not really thinking about paramo with this question as i view it as different again, and while i have some softshell gear and may shift more that way, i'm not planning the full change of kit to go paramo.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 DaveHK 08 Feb 2010
In reply to Ginger Dave Leonard:

I use a montane extreme smock and rarely put a hardshell on top. I will take a light hardshell for the walk in if it's grim and wear it over a baselayer.

The smock gets a bit damp if it's about 0 but only the outer pertex. Inside I'm toasty and dry. If it's much wetter I don't think I'd be winter climbing!
 Jones 08 Feb 2010
Horses for Courses in my opinion...
Soft Shell is fine for some days, and on others a hard shell. I tend to carry (in the car) a few options, but my favourite has to be...
Patagonia Capilene3 base layer, TKA 100 Fleece and a Hard Shell
I only wear soft shell pants these days though and have eVENT waterproof pants for when it gets all 'Welsh' on me.
 Merlin 09 Feb 2010

If it's going to be damp I'll wear the shell, no point wearing a softshell and carrying a shell 'just in case', pointless extra weight.

If it's cold and dry I'll wear softshell and ditch the hardshell totally.
Have to make a call on the weather. The fail proof system is obviously shell gear, although it's nice to have a few combos to choose from depending on conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...