UKC

Peru

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dougair 18 Feb 2010
I'm off to Peru in June (Cuzco, Nazca and Huaraz). What should I not miss? Are there any non-technical peaks I could take a complete novice on. Will mostly be trekking but it would be a shame not to get on the snow at least for a bit! Thanks.
 kp1 18 Feb 2010
In reply to dougair: I don't think there are any peaks around Nazca to climb but a day or two will be enough time to spend there. There are some big peaks not that far from Cuzco but they aren't easy to get to and organising a trip while in Cuzco might be difficult. I was there a few years and had no luck finding a guide.
There are a few fairly non technical mountains close to Huaraz which are very easy to access. Vallunaraju(5686) which is PD can be climbed in two days. The first day walk from 4200 up to a camp on the edge of the glacier about 5100. Summit and be back in Huaraz for dinner the next day. Huarapasca(5450) is PD+ and can be climbed in a single day from Huaraz. Ishinca and Urus are both around 5500 and PD- and can be climbed from a base in the Ishinca valley. There's another peak called Maparaju which is around F and is supposed to have great views but I think it's quite a hike to get to it(not sure though).
 uncontrollable 18 Feb 2010

also the walk up to 'laguna churup' from huaraz is well wotrh doing, doens't include a peak but great for acclimatisation. Can be easily done without guide.
almost sane 19 Feb 2010
In reply to dougair:
You shouldn't miss the Sunday market at Pisac.
I'd recommend you attend at least one local fiesta (there are loads).
Its worth taking time in the Sacred Valley, and not restricting yourself to Machu Picchu.
Non-technical peak? Nevado Maria Huamantilla.

There are loads of guides in and around Plaza de Armas in Cusco. I'd recommend going for a UIAGM guide if you want guided to the summit. Otherwise there are lots of companies who will organise logistics, ponies, cooksetc for the walk in. I'd recommend Wayki trek http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/companies/peru/wayki_trek.html (their web site seems infected at the moment) for trek support.

For UIAGM guides in Peru, check http://www.casadeguias.com.pe/
OP dougair 19 Feb 2010
In reply to dougair:Thanks all.
 JJL 19 Feb 2010
In reply to dougair:

Around Huaraz you could go and do Pisco (5800m ish) - it's a few days trekking to base and then up/back in a day. The trek in goes quite high (c. 4000m) so you'd get some acclimatisation. Contrary to a poster above, getting support in Huaraz is straightforward and loads of companies will 4x4 you to the start, lease you a mule and arriero or even guide the climb.

However, the phrase "complete novice" stands out in your post. The Andes are remote and wild and probably more serious than the Alps (very limited rescue services, high altitude, remote and with fewer other climbers to lend a hand if you mess up). Proficiency with ice axe and crampons is essential on most peaks, many involve glacier/'schrund and unstable morraine crossings, routes are not often on good paths, etc.

J
 Jenny C 19 Feb 2010
In reply to almost sane:
> (In reply to dougair)
> Its worth taking time in the Sacred Valley, and not restricting yourself to Machu Picchu.

Agreed, we did this before the Inca trail and really enjoyed it - we hired a taxi for the day from Cusco so could do the sites at our own pace.
oh_seven 19 Feb 2010
In reply to dougair: Hi, don't wish to be teachy but a key point before heading up anywhere in Peru is acclimatisation. I met many who tried to walk out of Huaraz the day after arriving. Take a day or two and even then take a short - 2-3 trip - before tackling any climbing.

Santa Cruz is an excellent trek for the purpose.

Then find your way down to the Huayhuash. It may be more demanding in terms of getting there etc. but the effort is well worth it.
almost sane 19 Feb 2010
In reply to dougair:
If you haven't been to altitude before, its worth reading up on it. http://medex.org.uk//medex_book/english_version.php is a good place to start.
 kp1 19 Feb 2010
In reply to JJL:
I was refering to having difficulty organising a trip to the mountains in Cuzco, not Huaraz. As I mentioned it was a few years ago though when I was there so things might have changed. You can organise any kind of trip you want in Huaraz as every second person you meet seems to be a guide of some description.
 amandaleeds 20 Feb 2010
In reply to dougair: I was in Huaraz in 2006 and I climbed Pisco witrh a guide. My only previous experience was trekking up the Monc and Jungfrau with a bunch of highly experiencded army guys and until then I'd never been to altitude or worn crampons so I was thrown in the deep end.

In Huaraz there were plenty of guides around but it's best to get a reccommendation from the Case de Guias there first as opposed to going straight to the many tour operator shops. Also, the guy who owns cafe Andino is probably a good source of info.

I hired all the gear through my guide's shop and transport was included. From what I rememeber we took a packed minibus for quite a while to a small market town then a taxi to the trailhead in Huascaran national park ($20 for 3 day permit back then) where I paid a small amount to hire a mule to take my pack as I'd been in bed all week with food posioning and feeling worse for wear and hadn't had a chance to do any altutude trekking to acclimatise. We had a 3km hike up a fairly steep windy trail and camped on the plateau below the mountain hut at 4600m and set off at 1:30am to head to the summit and got back just after lunch and we camped a second night near the hut. From the camping area there's a long walk over a morraine of big rocks which is a bit tricky in the dark!

I'd call myself a novice and apart from the altitude being tough due to not being well enough to properly acclimatise I was fine. Just felt tired.

The view from the top was beautiful and there's also a really pretty lake on the drive in and out that's worth stopping for a bite to eat (I was served guineapig from a pot but had no idea what it was until I'd eaten it!)

I know the info is a few years ols but hopefully it helps. In Huaraz there's a lovely climbers hostel called Churrup http://www.churup.com which has dorm rooms (roughly £6 now) or private rooms although it didn't have the most reliable hot shower in the dorms! There's a restaurant on the top floor with a lovely panoramic window view of the mountains and a fire and books to read. The old man who owned the place with his grandkids (if he's still alive) looked after me when I had the food illness!

Enjoy!

Amanda

OP dougair 19 Mar 2010
In reply to dougair: Thanks again all, i'm really looking forward to getting out there now. I'll certainly be taking it easy to begin with, plus we'll have done Macchu Picchu the week before arriving in Huaraz so will hopefully have acclimatised a bit. The novice comment refers to my other half although she has done a winter skills course, so probably not a complete novice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...