UKC

Dodgy toe rubber, month old Katanas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blownie 23 Feb 2010
Hey folks,

Looking for some advice here. I bought a pair of sportiva katanas about a month ago. I've used them indoor about twice a week since purchase so thats about 8 sessions. Basically i noticed a bit of the rubber in the toe area isn't sealed as it should be and theres a bit of a gouge into it. I realise indoor is fairly harsh on shoes but it seems a bit early for the toe to be going.

Do retailers sympathise with this type of situation and replace dodgy shoes or do i just accept these shoes aren't going to last very long?

Pics....

http://img214.imageshack.us/i/picture004u.jpg/
http://img98.imageshack.us/i/picture001ff.jpg/

Thanks for any advice,
Ben
In reply to The Benjo: I think a friend of mine had the same problem with her katanas she bought them from V12 tho I'm not certain how or even if she resolved it....good luck
 Wil Treasure 23 Feb 2010
In reply to The Benjo:

After four weeks that's just rubbish. Take them back - they should be sympathetic, sometimes the glue doesn't take or there's a dodgy batch of rubber.
 Michael Ryan 23 Feb 2010
In reply to katonka:

It could be bad technique or a rogue duff pair. Take them back to where you bought them.

Mick
In reply to The Benjo: mine have done exactly the same thing.. but heard it's common with a lot of katanas!! let me know if you get anywhere with the shop.. perhaps contact la sportiva direct? if you can really be bothered!

middlevern 23 Feb 2010
In reply to The Benjo: I had the same issue and was really not impressed. I had had multiple pairs of miuras with no such issues and so was pretty disappointed. Took mine back to snow and rock who sent them to sportiva. They accepted there was an issue and snow and rock gave me a refund.
 rob wmc 23 Feb 2010
In reply to The Benjo: A mate of mine had the same problem with a pair of katanas, the retailers replaced them.
 link 23 Feb 2010
In reply to The Benjo:

Ive had the same problem with one pair of katanas which I have owned. From what I gather it was a odd batch. I just ignored it and they have lasted just as long as my previous pair however I suppose there is more danger of catching the sole when moving feet up.
 James Oswald 23 Feb 2010
In reply to The Benjo:
I had mine replaced by the manufacturer (not the make shoe as you're talking about). They contacted me through finding a post on this forum. Try both the retailer and then if that fails the manufacturer.
James
 Andrew W 23 Feb 2010
In reply to The Benjo: I've had the same problem with a pair of Scapra forces, took them back and was told it was fair wear and tear so cut off the protruding rubber so it doesn't catch when moving it up the wall.
 vincentvega 23 Feb 2010
In reply to The Benjo:

Yep, i doubt its your footwork, its happened to too many Katana wearers for it to be classified as that. There is definatley a problem with the Katana, mine lasted about the same, then i bought some 5:10's and no problem, so cant be down to poor footwork.

Allan
OP Blownie 23 Feb 2010
Thanks for all the feedback guys, seems its common'ish.
I thought climbing technique would have been mentioned...never had a similar problem with previous shoes so can hopefully rule that out.

Will take my chances n pop into Nevisport next chance I get and see what they say. Took them a month to get my 1st pair in store, god knows how long it'll take to replace them (if they do).

Cheers,
Ben
OP Blownie 02 Mar 2010
Took them back last Tuesday. They were happy to take them but as expected they have to send them back to the supplier to be repaired or replaced.

Good outcome, shame it'll take a month or so to get them back.

Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...