UKC

Alpkit socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 good omens 04 Mar 2010
Hey, noticed that alpkit do socks. Just wondering if anyone has tried them yet and are they any good?
 Andy Hardy 04 Mar 2010
In reply to good omens:

Mine shrunk a bit, if that helps.
 minimike 04 Mar 2010
In reply to 999thAndy:

I'm wearing mine and can report warm feet in a cold office!
almost sane 04 Mar 2010
In reply to good omens:
I find they are a bit too short, and so the top of my boot rubs my shin.

And yes mine seem to have shrunk a bit in the wash, too.

Might be OK for trainers or some very short boots.
In reply to good omens:

All good stuff.
Use the Trekkers for walking & winter running (suffer from ridiculously cold feet/crap circulation), not had cold feet yet.
Use the AKDrenaline socks for when I'm on my pushbike (& summer walking), really comfy. Both wash well/easy care.
Good price & superspeedy delivery too.
Highly recommended.
 James_D 04 Mar 2010
In reply to good omens:

i really like them - i think i've got all the mens ones now. comfy, warm, except the ones which are supposed to be cool. What more can you about socks, really?
 Tom Last 04 Mar 2010
In reply to good omens:

Trekkers ones are comfy but have shrunk a bit.

MTB ones have a bit (a lot) of a problem with lint.

Cheers,
Tom
 Little Brew 04 Mar 2010
In reply to good omens: all those that say they have shrunk... do you hand wash or machine wash. and have you tumble dried them at all....

i found that my Bridgedale's shrunk when SOMEONE forgot to take them out the wet washing when he was putting stuff in the tumble dryer!!! my others i have just put over the radiator to dry/air are fine.
 Tom Last 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Little Brew:

Machine wash, no tumble dry.
Neil MB 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Little Brew: Get one of those in wash laundry bags to seperate between tumble and none tumble items. Rather useful when some items are small.

(Also rather good at seperating bras from tights to stop them being snagged).
 Bill Davidson 04 Mar 2010
In reply to good omens:

I've got these Wigwam ones now & they're very good!
 Andy Hardy 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Little Brew)
>
> Machine wash, no tumble dry.

^^^ me too
 deepsoup 04 Mar 2010
In reply to all:
Is there any benefit to them being er.. handed, or is it just a bit of a gimmick?
OP good omens 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Roger Irrelevant: All sounds good, and I do admit they are cheap. But what about sweat? how do they manage it? i am sure some of you still sweat out there despite Sure's best efforts? And what are wigwam socks or have i missed something?
In reply to good omens:
No real issues with sweat, (although when I use them for running, they are normally submersed in water at some point, so the big bonus for me is that they don't hold water & don't chill off, really rate them for cold winter running.
Washingwise, usually stick them on a 30 cycle & line dry/stick them on the radiator (don't have a tumble drier).
It seems that the sky is the limit these days for gear prices, just found these to do the job, at a nice price, I'd recommend them.
Not familiar with Wigwam.
Hope this helps!
 Mark Stevenson 04 Mar 2010
In reply to good omens: They are pretty good, although I've got to admit that I've got some Bridgedale ones at over the twice the price that are just better all round.

However I'm pretty sure I'll be buying some more Alpkit ones as they do the job at a good price.
 MRJ 04 Mar 2010
In reply to good omens:
>what are wigwam socks or have i missed something?
http://www.wigwam.com/
A top-end sock manufacturer from the USA that is non-sweatshop and all that.
In reply to good omens: The Merino socks are my favourites, I wear them for work an walking. I wouldn't say they've shrunk, they still fit really well, but they've lost enough stretchiness to make the difficult to put on and take off. A brand new pack sit in front of me as I type.

The coolmax socks are also a good fit, just not as 'forgot I was wearing them' as the merino.
OP good omens 04 Mar 2010
In reply to Mark Stevenson: ok so they seem to be good for the money then. Guess I'll buy and try then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...