UKC

Gore-tex pro shell vs. eVent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sometingwrong 07 Mar 2010
I recieved a proshell jacket as a gift from my fiance. It is nice but really expensive. I was looking online and noticed that eVent jackets are generally cheaper. Also, they seem to breathe better. I have also read that they are less durable and need to be washed much more often because they do not have the protective membrane that gore-tex has (this membrane apparently diminishes the breathability).

Does anyone have any experiences with both products. Is the breathability noticable between the two jackets? How about the durability?

GarethSL 07 Mar 2010
In reply to sometingwrong:

event = more breathable
gore tex = more durable

do a quick search in the forums, the topic has been covered in great depth
 Sean_J 07 Mar 2010
In reply to sometingwrong: I used to have a Lowe Alpine event jacket (think it was called the evolution) until about 15 months ago, when I bought a Haglofs Spitz Pro Shell jacket. I can;t saythat i've noticed any difference in breathability between the two, they both did/do an excellent job of keeping me non-sweaty (within the realms of reasonableness of course, 'breatheable' fabric isn't magic and does have limitations of course), and they were both pretty hard-wearing as well - had the LA jacket for about 5 years, it survived plenty of alipine and scottish winter trips with only a tiny hole in one sleeve to show for it.
 Siward 07 Mar 2010
In reply to Gaz lord: In my experience the sole determinant of durability is the face fabric.
Oh for the days of 3 layer taslan goretex- robust, heavy, indestructible nylon faced stuff. I still have a 80s one which I use now and again. It's not light.

The membrane inside is vulnerable whether goretex or event. After all its only clingfilm. Cover it with a lightweight bit of nylon and it will be nice and light, yes, but you will have to buy another in a couple of years beacuse it will have worn out. Light is not right unless you are pushing the limits on an 8000m peak or lightweight backpacking. A couple of hundred extra grams in face fabric equals lot more durability.

As to the OPs question, price differential probably has a lot to do with marketing, not quality.
 nikinko 07 Mar 2010
In reply to sometingwrong:

I have pro shell jacket and event trousers. Trousers let water in if you actually kneel in a puddle (or kneel on snow for a long time) but I think anything would.

having said that, the Jacket let me get very wet a couple of weeks ago but it was really proper wet and we'd been messing about sliding down snow slopes face first, so I don't think I'll hold that against it!
 icnoble 07 Mar 2010
In reply to sometingwrong: I have started to use Paramo and cant fault it
 GarethSL 07 Mar 2010
In reply to Siward: not necessarily, when referring to gore or e-vent I'm talking solely about the membrane and its performance. Event leaks cause it gets dirty easily, because unlike goretex it is not protected with a pu layer. Which increases its durability as a membrane but decreases the breathability somewhat. And anyway there are a much greater range of face fabrics available to gore tex that arent with event.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...