UKC

Robustnes of metolius supercams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 01 Apr 2010
The metolius supercam looks an amazing bit of kit, the only question in my mind being the robustness of the Kevlar strings, anyone any experience with it?
 Mark Stevenson 01 Apr 2010
In reply to JimR: I thought about getting the larger sizes a while ago so had a play with them and did a bit of digging into all the reviews of them I could find. I certainly didn't find any evidence of concerns or complaints about the robustness and they look very well designed.

Over the years I've had the wires go on an older Camalot 2 and on three larger DMM 4CUs (admittedly over 9 years of use) so personally I am perfectly happy to give Kevlar a go as an alternative.

I'm sure someone with more direct experience will be along to post shortly.
 Toerag 05 Apr 2010
In reply to JimR: Kevlar strings won't 'work harden' and break like wire will, but they'll be less abrasion resistant.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 06 Apr 2010
In reply to JimR: I've had one of the supercams for over a year now and the kevlar seems to be holding up just fine, the only niggle i had with it was that it was getting trapped in the cam stops and jamming the cam open, but a quick e-mail to metolius fixed that and oter than that it a superb bit of kit, really nice to place and certainly confidence inspiring. Much more stable than DMM/WC in those sizes too.
 Dan Dyson 06 Apr 2010
In reply to JimR: No problem with the string but the paint work on the end chipped off realy quick (within 12 mths) and now spots of rust are forming. (All my climbing is on cornish sea cliffs)
OP JimR 06 Apr 2010
Thanks all. I've succumbed to temptation
 Chris F 06 Apr 2010
In reply to JimR: Had one for about 18 months too. Admittedly only placed it about a dozen times, but carried it on most routes. Kevlar shows no signs of wear.

Never had any probs placing them, you just need to be aware that you are a bit limited for clearance of the inner cams if there is any sticking out bits of rock (convexities?) that might sit between the outer cams.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...