UKC

Walking socks-one pair or two

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterbaby 08 Apr 2010
There are two camps on this topic. I've always worn two pairs of socks in my boots- a thin pair and a thicker pair. I'm trying to buy new boots at the moment(what a chore) I can only seem to get a comfortable fit with one pair of socks. I believe the new thinking is that one pair causes less friction, I'm not convinced.

What's your experience?
 3 Names 08 Apr 2010
In reply to waterbaby:

I always used to wear two pairs and I never had any problems.
Then one day I started wearing one pair and I never had any problems.
 owlart 08 Apr 2010
In reply to waterbaby: I've only ever worn one pair of socks in my walking boots and I've never had any problems, even doing the 120miles of the South Downs Way, or mountain days in Snowdonia.

My Dad used to wear two pairs, but is converting to one pair as he thinks this will be better.
 JohnnyW 08 Apr 2010
In reply to waterbaby:
One pair, but the key is the fit. I have seen folks do all manner of things, two pairs, gimmick socks, changing boots to avoid blisters.
The straight answer is the sock should be good quality, have flat-stitched/overlocked toes, and be a snug fit, especially after washing, (which can mis-shape them), or when wet/damp in the boot. If you get any loose material, especially at the heel, or your feet don't match the heel position, they will be uncomfortable. The problem is that socks cover a range of sizes, with the consequent problems associated with that.

I have done 1000's of miles, the Munros etc, and once I realised a slightly snugger sock worked wonders, hey presto, ne'er a hotspot.
 monkey1 08 Apr 2010
In reply to waterbaby:

1 pair = Blisters
2 pairs = No blisters

in my own experience that is
 Mike Peacock 08 Apr 2010
In reply to waterbaby: I've always worn 2 pairs. To be honest, I've never understood all this talk about blisters. Surely if you buy boots that fit, and wear them in properly you should never get any blisters?
OP waterbaby 09 Apr 2010
In reply to JohnnyW:
> (In reply to waterbaby)
> One pair, but the key is the fit.

That's what the girl in Cotswold told me yesterday, after she pointed out that I was on the cusp of a size range and said that I should go down a size. So now I have 2 pairs of redundant socks!

I am now a very happy bunny, as I managed to save myself a small fortune on boots. Thanks to a very patient shop assistant, another thumbs up for Cotswold, but in Kingston upon Thames this time. I now own a pair of Scarpa boots that were £170, reduced to £119 and to my utter delight, reduced again at the till to £89!!

:-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...