Mountain Equipment has been making some of the finest mountain clothing and equipment in the world since 1961. We believe in what we do; we design, test and build with passion and commitment because we know that our products are depended upon in some of the most demanding conditions on earth.
An outstanding opportunity exists for a designer to join one of the fastest growing brands in Europe and play a key part in taking an award-winning range into the next decade. The successful candidate will posses outstanding creative skills and a proven ability in delivering designs from conceptual stage through to finished product.
· Conducting design research by visiting trade fairs, exhibitions and retail customers.
· Work closely with the Product Manager to develop seasonal range plans.
· Innovating & designing products taking into account development briefs, factory capabilities, target price points and brand.
· Sourcing & development of fabrics, trims and components
· Development and integration of colour palettes on a seasonal basis in collaboration with other product areas
· Follow the critical path for each season’s collection and meeting agreed timelines.
· Production of detailed CAD illustrations and technical drawings for use in specifications, product marketing and other media.
· Working with the equipment technologist to help resolve size and functionality issues & formulate product specifications.
· Working closely with suppliers in the development of finished products.
· Work on special SMU projects for retail partners and distributors as required
· To develop additional aspects of the product including brand and care labels as necessary in collaboration with other product categories
· An understanding of technical performance product construction is essential.
· An understanding of competitor products and the needs of active users is essential
· Experience of working with factories in the development of prototypes is essential
· A high level of competency in the use of Adobe Illustrator or relevant programmes, including 3D CAD
· Excellent communication skills and a willingness to travel throughout Europe and the rest of the world.
· Enthusiastic, self-motivated and a strong team player.
· An active interest in outdoor sports such as hill-walking, climbing or mountaineering is essential
· An understanding of the UK & European outdoor market is essential
· Design qualification to degree level or equivalent.
· At least 2 years experience working with a leading outdoor or similar sports brand.
This is a full time position offering a competitive salary and based at our head office in Greater Manchester.