UKC

Water proof sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Ratcliffe 09 Apr 2010
Anyone have any experience of using water proof bags like the Crux range? I was worried about condensation on the inside having direct contact with the down as opposed to the condensation inside a bivy bag that's in addition to your sleeping bag. It'll be used in the Alps bivying, possibly sometimes in snow holes.
Cheers
jon
 Nigel Modern 10 Apr 2010
In reply to chummer: Seems nobody has jon

I've used a Nikwax proofed down bag - seems to work well and it's easy to do.

Alpkit have instructions on their site about how to proof their bags.

We're Alpine bivvying and snow-holing this year and I have used proofed bags in a tent or bivvi in snow in Wales and Worcestershire several times, sometimes in very damp, muggy conditions with no problem (up to 2 nights at least).

You might need to go higher spec if you were in the Alps and high up for long periods as the effects of water getting into the down are cumulative I believe.

I used an old Blacks down bag until very recently but I'm now using (varied according to temperature and usually fully clothed) proofed Alpkit Pipedream 200 (with a thermal jacket over torso), fleece liner (proofed), Hunka (waterproof cover) on Thermarest Prolite plus (full length), with option of additional foam mat and all inside a hooped bivvi. We'll probably also take a tarp and a spade (to make walls/dig holes).

When you go might be key...the above kit is cosy (for me) to -5 ie approx summer Alps.

btw The British Standard for rating bags assumes you wear (at least) a hat, thermals and knee socks in colder weather.

Hope this is useful.
OP Jon Ratcliffe 10 Apr 2010
In reply to Nigel Modern: Cheers for your input Nigel. I've gone for a Crux bag with a 500 fill and event outer so we'll see how it goes next week!
 Caspar 10 Apr 2010
In reply to Nigel Modern:

Can you give me a link for the Alpkit waterproofing thing? I can't find it anywhere!
 Nigel Modern 10 Apr 2010
In reply to Caspar: http://www.alpkit.com/support/stickies/

Click on Pipedream manual on left

Enjoy the Alps
 LRob 11 Apr 2010
In reply to chummer: Chummer! Hope you're gonna share with me while freeze me nuts off!
OP Jon Ratcliffe 12 Apr 2010
In reply to LRob: you're the chummer! I'm off to collect a nice warm pit later, mmmmmm toasty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...