UKC

Reiff and wild camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jazzyjackson 11 Apr 2010
Hey folks,

Can anyone tell me what sort of walk in is nessesary for wild camping spots in Reiff?

What kind of distance are we talking after parking?

Which of the Reiff crags would be shortest walk in?

Got a 4 bedroom 2 storey tent so dont want a big walk in.

any tips appreciated.

: )
wcdave 11 Apr 2010
In reply to jazzyjackson:
> Hey folks,
>
> Can anyone tell me what sort of walk in is nessesary for wild camping spots in Reiff?

Errmm...a short one to the beach.
>
> What kind of distance are we talking after parking?

About a mile.
>
> Which of the Reiff crags would be shortest walk in?

Pinnacle Area.
>
> Got a 4 bedroom 2 storey tent so dont want a big walk in.
>
> any tips appreciated.
>
> : )

OP jazzyjackson 11 Apr 2010
In reply to wcdave:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson)
> [...]
>
> Errmm...a short one to the beach.
> [...]
>
thanks , beach not so good, need to be grass pitch.
1 mile prob too far with this tent ; ( its the limiting factor

tattoo2005 11 Apr 2010
In reply to jazzyjackson: We were there last year and just camped in a field which we shared with some sheep, they didnt seem to mind! When you get down to Reiff, turn right and if you follow the road down the hill you will find fields about 20 steps from where you can park the car, just over a small bridge, there are about three bungalows just beside it. Have a great time, its a gorgeous place with lovely scenery and great routes. I'm off to Polldubh tomorrow so hoping the weather is good!
In reply to tattoo2005:
nice on, thanks and enjoy Polldubh, i think you are sorted 4 weather, enjoy it before monsoon season kicks in.
 tattoo2005 11 Apr 2010
In reply to jazzyjackson: Cheers, its been a few years since I've been to Polldubh so looking forward to getting back again. Hope the weather is good for you up NW!
Slugain Howff 11 Apr 2010

Is wild camping with a 4 bedroom tent not stretching the ethos of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code just a wee bit?

The bar at Altandhu had some arrangement for camping last year

S

In reply to Slugain Howff:
>
> Is wild camping with a 4 bedroom tent not stretching the ethos of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code just a wee bit?
>
> The bar at Altandhu had some arrangement for camping last year
>
>
>
> S

Possibly,the generator is quite loud but the sound system is tame I can assure you ; )

Tom Last 11 Apr 2010
In reply to Slugain Howff:
>
> Is wild camping with a 4 bedroom tent not stretching the ethos of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code just a wee bit?
>
> The bar at Altandhu had some arrangement for camping last year
>
>
>
> S

I stayed in that campsite last year and whilst it's a great spot and the Am Fuaran is a great pub, I could barely squeeze a one man tent in between the piles of masonry. I understand from a mate that they're currently digging out the plot, so it is happenning, but maybe not great at the moment.

Cheers,
Tom
 fimm 12 Apr 2010
In reply to Southern Man:

We also camped there last year, and I seem to recall some people with a larger tent had found themselves a spot further down the slope closer to the sea, so it was possible. Obviously if they are working on the site it may not be possible now. I don't recall anywhere near to the road on the Reiff peninsula itself that looked appropriate for wild camping - my other thought was that it wasn't obvious where you might get water from.
 Tom Last 12 Apr 2010
In reply to fimm:

Good call, it's definitely a nice spot and worth getting in if they can - did they charge you? They didn't bother with us, said they thought it would be a cheek! Regardless, we were a captive audience for their langoustine (recommended!).

I'd agree with what you say about scarcity of other spots, I wonder if the SYHA at Achiltibuie allows camping. Might be worth the OP asking?
 fimm 12 Apr 2010

No they didn't charge us - though they did hint that it would be appreciated if we bought a beer or two in the pub! Given that they were allowing us to use the toilets and get water in the morning I don't think parnoising the bar was too much of a chore!! When we were there it wasn't really a campsite, just a place near the road where wild camping was allowed (if that makes sense). I seem to recall that they were talking about doing it up propery - I hope they don't charge too much for smal tents, or I can see climbers not wanting to pay and trying to wild camp up on the peninsula.
 sutty 12 Apr 2010
In reply to fimm:

Seems like a good spot. Perhaps they should charge around £6 a night, and the receipt could be redeemed in beer or food. A bit of tit for tat.
 Tom Last 12 Apr 2010
In reply to fimm:

Yeah sounds like our experience.

The bar was really good I thought, friendly, good beer, good food. I'd go back, if like you stay it isn't too dear.
OP jazzyjackson 12 Apr 2010
In reply to fimm:

thanks for all the info folks. We will be taking plenty water with us but wild camping can be hit or miss when u need to be near the car. Its cool for small tents.Im sure we will find a good spot. just gotta hope the good weather holds now. Reiff sandstone looks sweet!
 fimm 12 Apr 2010
In reply to sutty:

Well, I think if they spend money putting in a toilet block and flattening the ground out and tidying up a bit then I would expect to be charged. I just hope they have sensible pricing for small tents (I've been charged £10 for a one-man tent on a site that catered for families and just didn't have a pricing structure for people like me!)

(PS typo in other post - "properly")
 lynda 12 Apr 2010
In reply to lynda:

good call, this looks idylic, I will keep an eye out for this. Thx
: )
 catt 12 Apr 2010
In reply to tattoo2005:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson) ... When you get down to Reiff, turn right and if you follow the road down the hill you will find fields about 20 steps from where you can park the car, just over a small bridge, there are about three bungalows just beside it.

I would suggest this is a very poor choice of place to camp, the locals are already pissed off with the parking situation without people pitching up within view of their houses.

Walk the mile to the beach, with perfect camping on the machar there (getting fresh water is the only issue), or camp along at the pub, or a spot further back up the road as Lynda suggests.

In reply to catt:

I didnt see any houses in her pic.
either way I wouldn't camp next too any dwellings , I wouldnt drive all that way to do so.
My prerequisites are space, solitude, Macdonalds...
 Tom Last 12 Apr 2010

I think Catt is talking about Tattoo's suggestion, not Lynda's.

It does mention in the guide about not pissing off the folk in the houses, so best to stay clear of there.

ahh, OK. yes its fair enough, cant really see the attraction in camping in someones garden anyway!
 tattoo2005 15 Apr 2010
In reply to catt:
> (In reply to tattoo2005)
> [...]
>
> I would suggest this is a very poor choice of place to camp, the locals are already pissed off with the parking situation without people pitching up within view of their houses.
>
> Walk the mile to the beach, with perfect camping on the machar there (getting fresh water is the only issue), or camp along at the pub, or a spot further back up the road as Lynda suggests.

No one seemed pissed off when we chatted to them, we had no problems at all
 catt 15 Apr 2010
In reply to tattoo2005:

The parking problem is a well known issue, especially with the crags increasing popularity. Camping in the immediate vicinity is only going to aggravate things. And given the visability to all visitors, it's setting a precedant that's it's an okay spot to wild camp.

There's no rules of course, but given the number of cracking alternative spots it's very easy to show some consideration to both the locals and people who wish to climb there in the future. Just a little common sense and courtesy really!
 Wilbur 15 Apr 2010
In reply to catt:

Would you be referring to the spot we cooked breakast at?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...