UKC

Hillwalking - Ben Loyal + Ben Hope by foot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
feepole 26 Apr 2010
Hi folks

Planning a wee trip to Caithness in June. Will be without the car. Was thinking about staying a night in the Youth Hostel at Tongue, making an early start, heading over Ben Loyal, descending west and heading to the foot of Ben Hope to pitch tent. Very early start on day 2, up Ben Hope, before heading back east to arrive in Tongue in time for 11am bus to Thurso.

Anyone tried combining these hills? Any thoughts on the terrain between them/ best route?

Cheers
Fionn
 Steve Perry 26 Apr 2010
In reply to feepole: I live not far from these hills and have been up them a number of times and the best way I've found to link the 2 is via the Moine path which starts at 543528 on Landranger 10 or 459507 on Landranger 9. The Moine path is best enjoyed in an west to easterly direction but you still need to reach Ben Hope I suppose, hitching is fairly easy up here.
Geoffrey Michaels 26 Apr 2010
In reply to feepole:

Fionn a charaid,

Sound like a great trip you have and one I intend to do. This is in Sutherland though, not Caithness.
feepole 26 Apr 2010
In reply to Steve Perry:

Nice one Steve, thanks for that.
feepole 26 Apr 2010
In reply to Donald M:

OOPS! How embarassing! sorry... I blame faling standards in the teaching of geography (given the fact I'm just across teh water in Orkney I really shouldn't have made such an error!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...