UKC

Arc'teryx Gamma MX or Patagonia Ascentionist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm thinking about by a super breatherable and very weatherproof softshell. I've narrowed down my choice to either, Arc'teryx Gamma MX or Patagonia Ascentionist? Both jackets fit me - so which should I get and why?

Cheers,

Tom

Dee 05 May 2010
In reply to the cassin ridge: Hi Tom, I've used the Patagonia Ascentionist and I've found that it does exactly what I want a softshell to do - it's very breathable and weatherproof - and suits fast-moving alpine-style climbing and skiing activities (which is what I use it for). I've used the Readymix before it and I think that the Ascentionist is a better all-round garment - the reivew on UKC was accurate and fair in my opinion. You wouldn't go wrong if you bought one.

I haven't tried the Gamma MX.
 Sash.C 05 May 2010
In reply to the cassin ridge: I narrowed my choices down to the same two. I went for the Gamma MX. Can't fault it. People moan about the elasticated sleeves, but i love them. I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the Ascentionist, but seem to have a bit of an adiction to Arcteryx stuff these days. It's going to bankrupt me. Reckon you'll be happy either way.

nb290 05 May 2010
re the Gamma MX, I use mine only in winter, for skiing and ice climbing. In summer in the Alps I find it too warm at most times, and it's also heavy for summer - so heavy that for the same weight (and money!) you can carry a windproof, insulated vest and thin waterproof which you can layer according to what you need - just cutting wind, adding a bit of insulation or all three for warmth and protection. If you find that faffy and want just one piece, then for summer alpine the ME Astron Hoody would be better than the Gamma MX. It's a full 250g lighter - which means that for the weight saved you can take either a vest or a thin waterproof as well!
 bouldery bits 05 May 2010
In reply to the cassin ridge:

You should get the ascensionist because it's a bargain at Planetfear

http://www.planetfear.com/item/Brand_patagonia-ascensionist-jacket_0_0_2757...
 heist182 05 May 2010
In reply to the cassin ridge: The ascentionist is tricky to fit under a hard shell.
expatsamson 06 May 2010
In reply to the cassin ridge:

Choosing a softshell depends on if you are a warmer or colder person. When I climb or ski in the winter I run real hot and overheat easily. The Gamma MX is a great choice if it's cold conditions but if it's warm weather the MX is way too hot for me and doesn't breath enough. I haven't used the Ascensionist before.

If you like the Arc'teryx brand and fit check out the Gamma LT or Epsilon. Both have more breathable fabrics than the MX, are cheaper in price, and far more breathable. If you run hot and want something more breathable these may be a better option than either of your original choices.

Finding the right mix of breathability and weather resistance is tough however most companies use excellent DWR's (durable water repellent)that shed rain and snow extremely well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...